the wind has broken my bike

nigel smith
This post is 3759 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all

i opened the back door to let the dog out this morning only to find that my bike had been blown over,

it was then i discovered yamaha parts are made out of play doh and pig iron.

handle bars bent

clutch lever snapped

choke lever snapped

indicator smashed

seat ripped

ordered the parts £80 without the seat.

happy new year :madflame::madflame::madflame:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This has happened to my bike twice now :eusa_doh:

First time I got away with just a busted brake lever but second time it was brake lever (again) indicator smashed and throttle grip busted :bawling:

At least XT parts aren't too hard to come by, not so easy for a 31 year old TR1 :shrug: although I did manage to find them (eventually).

My bike has now been moved so hopefully it won't happen again :praying:

Damn all that from the wind?? I dumped my bike going 20km/h around a corner with some sand on it and only bent the mirror...bent it right back into place too! I've also dropped it one other time (into the wifes car no less lol) and nothing happened. That sucks man!

Jeez Nigel, sorry to hear that. With my camping trip to Cornwall before Crimbo my Tiger was physically rocking in the wind, and that's a heavy bike! It was better when I removed the luggage, but still didn't like leaving it, ha ha!

Jeez Nigel, sorry to hear that. With my camping trip to Cornwall before Crimbo my Tiger was physically rocking in the wind, and that's a heavy bike! It was better when I removed the luggage, but still didn't like leaving it, ha ha!

so that's why you laid it down ? :eusa_whistle:

• Like 1

Yeah, lower centre of gravity = more resistant to cross-wind... Logic in there somewhere I'm sure... *cough*

• Like 1

I always put my bike on the sidestand so the wind is blowing it into it, if that makes sense.

I always put my bike on the sidestand so the wind is blowing it into it, if that makes sense.

makes perfect sense,

it just rolls forward then .. :eusa_doh:

Not with a Velcro strap round the front break lever as a hand brake. Or suppose a disk lock would work the same.

:spin2:

Maybe I had better explain myself more betterer, if there is a north wind, as in a severe gale wind like what we are experiencing at the moment I try to place the bike on the sidestand so the wind is pushing it against the side stand so the wind don't blow it over because the side stand is preventing that.

Is that to difficult to understand?????

Am I pissing against the wind??? (if I do will I get my own back?)

Maybe I had better explain myself more betterer, if there is a north wind, as in a severe gale wind like what we are experiencing at the moment I try to place the bike on the sidestand so the wind is pushing it against the side stand so the wind don't blow it over because the side stand is preventing that.

Is that to difficult to understand?????

Am I pissing against the wind??? (if I do will I get my own back?)

ah ! but what if the wind changes, your face might stick like that..

• Like 1

hi all

finally got my parts today lets hope its not raining tomorrow then i can get them fitted.

sorry to hear about your bike simonjb, mine also had a cover on i think thats what took it over. you live and learn i guess

nigel

The cover was huge on my YBR too - I used to bungee it round the bike. A right pain, but helped keep it in place.

Anyway, glad you got your parts Nigel. Heard the weather is supposed to be ok tomorrow. A bit of rain in the morning I think? But who really knows for sure eh!

I'm off out on my bike tomorrow, woohoo!

Well today was my first non wet, non windy day since about November, and as my rugby game got called off I decided to dig out the bike and go for a run. Great plan until I opened the shed door and it looked as if a bomb had been set off inside. For the last few months I have been converting my garage into a bedroom (hence the reason for the big shed) and it appears I have been just piling all the junk in my shed, so a serious clean out was in order. 4 hours later, the junk all removed and some rejigging of the shelves has freed up a load of floor space so I'm a reasonably happy bunny.

Oh and my bike started after a few turns of the engine so it would appear petrol does not go off as quick as some folk would have you think.

Maybe get a run out tomorrow