Just Joined

ozmadman
This post is 3782 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I have just bought a 1974 Yamaha RD 250 US import with a genuine 8100 miles on the clock with matching frame and engine numbers and original as far as I can tell with my limited knowledge of these bikes. I am one of the older generation having passed my test (if you could call it that) back in 1971(had a bantam and then a 175cc Honda ) then moved onto a car. I came back to biking 2 years ago after a 40 year abstinence buying a classic 1960 AJS 350 which I have restored. I wanted another classic bike but the old British stuff that I like is really expensive now even for a wreck and I am not loaded, then I saw this Yam!!! Always fancied another two stroke and couldn't resist as it is in fair nick for an almost 40 year old bike. I needs a few jobs so I will be on here from time to time picking brains, should get it next week sometime My profile pic is the bike

Paul

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
:wavey: welcome aboard! Lovely bike from what I can see on my phone.
  • Like 1

Hi ozmadman,

I too like the old british classics. I had a couple of Norton 500's and Triump Tiger back in the 70's. Was in Malaysia on military duties and couldn't bring them back with me. Kicking myself ever since. Never had a Yammie then but did have a couple of Suzuki T250-2 (Hustler) Similar vintage to your RD. Looks good and will be satisfying.

• Like 1

A couple of pictures

RD250MAINPIC_zps1bb6d422.jpg

RD250OFFSIDEPIC_zpscfdec8fa.jpg

Work needed... tank is dented, front brake doesn't work, needs a new battery, carbs need a clean, investigate an electrical short as lights are dim. if anyone would like to point me in the right direction for any of this it would be great.

Paul

:eusa_drool: wow! She looks to be in fantastic shape. :wub:

I'm no good with electrical myself. I can trace wires and match color-coding... that's about the extent. :) I'd say post up your individual questions in the workshop section to get more response. Or you could start a project thread. :thumb:

Thanks, the pictures make it look a bit better but it is not bad for nearly 40 years old. The limits of my wiring knowledge is similar as yours but nothing like a challenge!! Need to get a workshop manual though, any free ones I can download anywhere do you know?

Paul

You could probably google it to see, but we can't post copyright material. if it's available free I don't see why not... but someone else will probably have a better idea. :shrug:

Welcome paul ,,, did you get the title [ usa logbook] with her,,,, and have you got the customs papers,,, I"v just done my Z900

and got the N.O.V.A. paperwork required for registration, will be glad to guide you thru... :wavey:

• Like 1

Welcome paul ,,, did you get the title [ usa logbook] with her,,,, and have you got the customs papers,,, I"v just done my Z900

and got the N.O.V.A. paperwork required for registration, will be glad to guide you thru... :wavey:

Thanks for the offer to help, got everything( customs docs confirming the duty has been paid, nova etc) except the title. I have got the relevant form to send off to Yamaha for a dating certificate. The seller does this for a living so has advised me of all I need to do to get it registered and obtain an age related plate. But if I come up against any issues with the D.V.L.A I will take you up on your offer. Best regards Paul

Thats a great starting point Paul, hey...love your garage, that's a proper 'man-shed'

Thanks, it's not my garage I'm afraid, it's where the bike is at present but wish it was..

Paul

Welcome to the YOC Paul, lots of 2 stroke boys and girls on here you should feel right at home. :wavey:

I did a post a while ago regarding the NOVA stuff. You should be able to find it using the search facility. I am at work so can't get the link at the moment. You can also get the age certificate from this site, for a fee. There is a stickie somewhere written by Mervin, I think, which explains all you need to do.

Stick around on the forum as there are a good few of us 2 strokers here but it may also be work a. Is it to the aircooledrdclub forum.

I . Stick around on the forum as there are a good few of us 2 strokers here but it may also be work a. Is it to the aircooledrdclub forum.

??? Not sure what you are saying here?

Paul

Thats a great starting point Paul, hey...love your garage, that's a proper 'man-shed'

Its an auld Nissan hut,, You"l need to M.o.t it paul, [ on frame number] :yeah:

Welcome btw! After being 'drag towed' by a 2 stroke earlier this year seriously thinking about getting one myself (after I get rid of the L plates)!

Its an auld Nissan hut,, You"l need to M.o.t it paul, [ on frame number] :yeah:

When it comes to the M.O.T will it have to be trailered or walked there?? Don't think it will go down to well riding it with US plates and no registration. sorry for the dumb question but all this is new to me

Paul