Sr doing up

lauragilmour
This post is 3731 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got an sr few weeks ago, it's quite mechanically sound, passed it's mot and that's great, there's a few minor things like I adjusted the clutch lever and the neutral light was always on (now fixed) other than that it's a 1994 bike so bound to have a bit rust, took the seat off, tank, mud guards and under neath the frame is okay, little rust so used a little sand paper, rust killer then gonna paint it

Posted Image

(Before it was really rusty)

Sanding down the tank, panels etc going to give them a respray since the bike looks like it's been dropped a few times And it's a bit scratched. Other than that been cleaning up the engine which is coming okay (not yet finished)

Posted Image

Going to get some better bulbs they're a bit dimm! Going to obviously do more things to it but this is just a start I'll post them in this thread

Going to hopefully posts lots over the winter

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That looks like a nice little bike, wish you well with it, winter is a great time to keep warm in the shed and get some things done.

Yeh" good job laura. tidy little SR , puts Andrews to shame.. :yeah:

Cheers mate - I guess that's the gauntlet thrown down!! Maybe come summer when I can see outside after work........

Hmm wonder if I could get the kids doing some with Bar Keepers Friend with it being countdown to Christmas?!?

I'll get some 'before' pics up soon but could be a while before the 'after' ones get loaded!!

Looking like a nice little project that Laura!

keep up the good work

Haven't got loads of time due to college (so demanding) but spent good part of my day finishing of doing paint touch ups on the frame. Also been doing a lot of sanding to get the body work for the painting on Friday!

Posted Image

It used to be a bike, good having it stripped down gives me a chance to see what hiding under everything.

Posted Image

For rust I'm just sanding it down, then applying a rust killer then once that's dry painting over it with a rust specific paint.

Not much to update on to be honest, once it's been in the body shop on Friday I should have more to post, can't wait!!

Looks like you've pretty much hit the ground running from what I can see, ihad the'83. SR as a project (see "project mong" in the project section.)

I have a spare front wheel and clutchsprings left over if you need them, one thing that cannot be stressed enough is routine maintenance, the SR is a bulletproof engine so long as you keep changing your oil nd generally look after it, too many suffer top-end failure due to neglect.

Looks like you've pretty much hit the ground running from what I can see, ihad the'83. SR as a project (see "project mong" in the project section.)

I have a spare front wheel and clutchsprings left over if you need them, one thing that cannot be stressed enough is routine maintenance, the SR is a bulletproof engine so long as you keep changing your oil nd generally look after it, too many suffer top-end failure due to neglect.

It's a lovely bike, pretty solid bike when I got it, just general wear and tare which you can expect from a bike of its age, I've already changed the oil, I'm going to clean up the chain later this week and other general things, my dad's a mechanic and I'm a bike nut so it will defiantly not be neglected as long as I have it!!!

I cant remember if the chains are split link or expanded jobbies on these, when i had my DT i used to take the chain off and drop it into a pot of old engine oil over the weekend, just dont do it in your mums shed, somehow the pot got knocked over and left a slick all over the floor, she went f*cking mental.

Haha oh god sounds a nightmare! Luckily I live with my dad and it's his shed, it's like a cave, every wall sobered in tools etc so doesn't really matter how messy I am :D I got some proper chain cleaner and lube the other day so will pop it out into the yard when I do it

Haha oh god sounds a nightmare! Luckily I live with my dad and it's his shed, it's like a cave, every wall sobered in tools etc so doesn't really matter how messy I am :D I got some proper chain cleaner and lube the other day so will pop it out into the yard when I do it

holy crap, where've you been all my life? :o

I meant with the shed, here i am working away in a freezing car park, no fair!, i want a man cave :(

ta for rubbing it in, i will be thinking of you all nice and warm in your well-lit shed when im rolling around under the bikes in the rain pulling tarmac out of my ass crack. :eusa_doh:

Well done Laura, its coming on really well, you sticking it away for winter or you just going to get on a ride?

Your dads man cave sounds similar to mine, all my tools are in there own place on the wall, planet rock on the radio and nice heater in the corner.