xt125x rear wheel removal

nigel smith
This post is 3854 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all i have a large nail in my rear tyre which caused a flat which nearly threw me off mid bend this morning,

my local tyre repair guy said he will fix it if i take the wheel to him, it looks pretty straight forward to remove the wheel. what i need to know, are there any settings i need to take note off ? how much chain movement do i need ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

nigel

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If the chain is adjusted correctly you should just be able to knock out the wheel axle, push the wheel slightly forward (to loosen the chain) pull the chain to one side to get it away from the sprocket and then remove the wheel. Don't touch the rear brake lever as this will squeeze the pistons and you wont get the brake disk back in the gap. .

The hardest part is getting the bike high enough to drop the wheel. If you haven't got a stand a plastic bottle crate may do it.

right guys thinking it looked easy i was thinking push bike pull the wheel from the back but on closer inspection there is no slot.

do i have to remove the spindle ?? do i need any special tools or does it just knock through...

cheers guys

Yeh nige" knock the spindal thru, or if thers a hole in it , slip a punch or sturdy phillips driver thru , and pull and twist the spindal -taking the weight of wheel at same time, Did you jack bike up ? i use a milk crate - under the bash plate [ frame.]

Also do a crash coarse in Hungarian , problem sorted with the manual :spin2:

If you can, have someone hold the bike upright when you are taking the rear wheel off, the shift of weight might be enough for it to become unsteady on the stand and fall over.

I never had this problem with my XT but when i jacked my husky up to take the rear wheel off it toppled over to the side....luckily i was between it and the ground :eusa_doh: but it never hit the floor..that thats something right? lol

The way i used to do it was:

Put the bike up on my homemade stand.

have someone to make sure the bike wont fall over/ anchor it down so it can't topple over

slacken the chain adjusters (on both sides) - no need to slacken all the way, just a little to help you get the chain off.

maneuver the chain from the rear sprocket. if it is being awkward to take all the way off just take a bit off and spin the wheel slowly so it will pull the chain off its self- don't force this though.

undo the nut on the spindle all the way off

remove the nut, washer (mine had a washer, maybe all don't?)and metal bit that that chain adjuster pushes back

place something under the rear wheel to take the weight off it, or just hold it up with your foot

take note of where the spacer is on the spindle (as once you take the spindle out it will seemingly 'fall out of nowhere')

get a longish screwdriver or something similar but sturdy, place it at the end of the spindle you just took the nut off and tap it through with a hammer. you might get away with a couple of light taps and then pulling it through from the other side.

once the spindle is all the way out you can take the support from under the wheel and maneuver it out.

not a problem at all. One of not so many things i know how to do, when it comes to bikes that is. So how could i not tell you!

And as my XT used to eat rear wheel bearings so often that i got it down to a fine art lol

It was pretty much this, but with a bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9TL7YOB7J8