off roading

up.yours
This post is 4001 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

If you are caught by the law on private land without permission , or on public land ,without permission

Would you be commiting a criminal offence or a motoring offence.

And if you hold a full driving licence would you receive penalty points on it for comiting an off road offence

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not sure Kev but my understanding is:

Private lands - nothing traffic related can happen but trespass, and criminal stuff can. This includes stolen vehicles etc.Not sure if they can seize vehicles.

Public land - Same as the road so all traffic related laws apply. All criminal stuff still applies.

Depends what you someone was doing!!

If you are caught by the law on private land without permission , or on public land ,without permission

Would you be commiting a criminal offence or a motoring offence.

And if you hold a full driving licence would you receive penalty points on it for comiting an off road offence

Is this hypothetical Kev or are you in the Shit ? oh & yes Dogging is a criminal offence just thought I'd add that bit but I'm sure you already know :doggy:

:eusa_snooty: NO im not in the shit..

a mates lad has a crosser and we were talking, but are unsure if it will effect his newly acquired driving licence..

as i know he has been riding it on PUBLIC land..

:eusa_snooty: NO im not in the shit..

a mates lad has a crosser and we were talking, but are unsure if it will effect his newly acquired driving licence..

as i know he has been riding it on PUBLIC land..

thought you'd been having fun on your passola to be honest!! :biglaugha:

ahh i see. not sure kev., but i do think if he is found to be riding it on the roads...it will probably be confiscated and crushed.

And thinking about it, no insurance on its own is 6 points. Thats your license gone if you have acquired it in the last couple of years. not to mention all the other shit they might do him for

yea, i know if he's on the road they will chuck the book at him.

i saw him pushing down the road , so he's not daft enough to ride it there.

but the plod have a lot of trouble with dick heads on so called pit bikes around that parkland..

i still want to know if it will effect a driving licence even though it's an off road offence.

it appears to be a bit of a gray area , everyone i spoke to about it isn't to sure..

If he is not on a public road, or a road to which the public have access, then it would probably be an Anti-social Behaviour order, but I dont do Traffic Law. A guy on the Marine Unit used to work in the Roads Policing Unit, so when I'm next at work I'll ask him and report back.

• Like 1

Kev

Sorry for the delay mate, it was my first day back today (4 on/4 off shift system)

Section 34 RTA1988 States

Prohibition of driving mechanically propelled vehicles elsewhere than on roads.

(1)Subject to the provisions of this section, if without lawful authority a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle

(a)on to or upon any common land, moorland or land of any other description, not being land forming part of a road, or

(b)on any road being a footpath, bridleway or restricted byway,

he is guilty of an offence.

So basically what it means is getting caught riding in a public place (other than a road) will still result in the riders licence being endorsed. The riders docs would be checked and the bike could be given a good going over and any faults under the Construction and Use Regs being noted.

On private land without permission would/could just result in tresspass offences, England and Wales only

ta for that buddy.

i think a massive fine and the bike crushed would be more fitting myself.

endorsing your licence for an off road offence ,, to me,, is unfair...

but ? the laws there for a reason i suppose...

Yea, we've all done it at one time or other. I learned to ride a bike on the land behind my pals house. Different times tho, I spoke with the local Bobby back then and remember him telling me as long as he didnt see us riding our bikes on the road, up and down to the hill, he wasn't too concerned. Nowadays tho its still driving a mechanically propelled vehicle, so I would think its because although not on a road, the public have access and so could still be involved in an accident with this vehicle

not to mention no insurance/tax and MOT

even pushing a bike a technically using it in public, although common sense should prevail there

their was a program on the telly the other night .

it was on about the damage to the country side and risk to live stock and such.

i remember learning on parkland in wigan on a suzuki trail bike ,and as you said plod just warned you back then .

but you were scared of the police back then , cos they give you a clip around the ear hole.

or took you home .

i don't condone this ? but i believe if you remove your helmet and ride off , the police wont follow you anymore ..

as im led to believe it's endangerment and they could get sued far more than a little prick would get fined.

Realy Kev that's stupid ,,if your dumb enough to ride without a lid then what ever happens to you is your own dam fault.And if you want to run from the cops your dam guilty of something

I too learned how to ride in what was probably considered public land,and as long as I pushed my bike to the area the cops had no problem,but if they caught you riding on the street they would just conviently/accidentaly run your bike over when they caught you and trust me they would hunt you down back in the 70's and had no problem smacking you around,before taking you home to deal with your dad who then smacked you some more.I never risked it cause I would probably still feel the smack

A friend of mine was given a drivers licence at 15(leagle age is 16),just so they could give him pionts and remove his licence for 4 years for riding his bike on the street without a helmet,insurance and what ever elss,his bike was impounded by the cops and sold by his parents to pay for the fines.

Time's have changed and kids now have too many rights IMO,I have never had to smack my son probably cause I give him everything,BUT he knows F#k up and he'll get one up side the head laws be damed.And he can kiss all his stuff good bye.

If this young lad is old enough to hold a licence then he should act like a adult,and suffer the consequences for his actions just like the rest of us.

Kev

Sorry for the delay mate, it was my first day back today (4 Hrs on /4 days off shift system) " Yeh jimmy , good old civil servants"

Section 34 RTA1988 States

(a)on to or upon any common land, " You"l be ok kev " your very Common

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online