1995 Virago 1100 hesitaion between 60-74mph

74tx500
This post is 3894 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

got a question. my 1995 virago1100 runs great but once I run it down the highway shut it off and continue on the highway(after the first fuel stop ect) it hesitates. so if I cruising along let off the throttle decell for a few seconds and hit the throttle again it falls flat on it's face and then takes off like a rocket. but after a while of running like its it lacks power(doesn't feel as powerful as it should). I fixed a broken vacuum cap which helped a little. any thoughts or common issues that can cause this? I plan to clean the carbs(hoping to find something simple like dirt or aluminum corrosion flakes in a jet). any help would be great!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

also got another question. the vacuum sensors on the 1100s(also called a boost sensor or pressure sensor) are they a real sensor(send a varying signal voltage to the ignition box) or are they a switch(on/off)? i'm taking this bike on a week long vacation and would like to get this figured out before I leave if I can. I know there is a test in my shop manual to test the sensor but as a auto mechanic I've seen parts fail and test okay via the test in the shop manual.

I'm really no expert so please forgive me for any useless advice.

We had this on another bike and whilst I am not experienced with the XV series I would say check your air filter/air flows etc.

Sounds like starvation of some kind so check filter, fuel and any valves/reeds within the carb socks if that doesn't help.

Generally, when I saw this issue it was an air issue (perhaps even too quick of an increase of air pressure?)
Does it sound almost like it wants to decellerate before it takes off?

(Again sorry if this is useless I'm just trying to help whilst I wait for my own question to get answered XD thought I'd try and make myself useful.)

Have you fitted after market pipes? if so you maybe getting too much air flow into the bike and not enough fuel. you will therefore need to put in bigger main jets in the carbs.

quick check would be to take out your spark plugs, if they are black as the ace of spades you are getting too much fuel and need smaller jets, if they are white and full of powder then you have too much air and need bigger jets, but if they are a light brown (little like hay) then your running spot on.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online