Yamaha 200 with 397....... frame number

jacques
This post is 4029 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have a 200 cc Yamaha in bits, frame and engine numbers match, but both start with a star and 397 dash and the rest of the number.

I also have another Yamaha 200 cc, seems very similar, but frame and engine number both start with cs3.... so that is clear.

Does anyone know what the bike with frame number, star 397.... is....

Anyone got any parts for these, especially a rear mudguard.

Many thanks,

Cheers Jacques.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

According to the book I have it looks like you have a 1973 RD200 model and it has (USA) next to it. Where abouts are you ?

hi, thanks for the reply..... interesting... the numbers for the frame and motor match, but nowhere does USA come into the numbers or after the numbers....it could have been imported into the UK years ago - many bikes are, and registered here... I do not have papers to prove that, but do have a registration number, so I am pretty confident I shall be able to obtain the correct a paperwork which will show date and country of importation - 55 pound fee for such a document - I am just trying to work out if all the work and hassle will be worth it in the end...

I live in Ruislip near London in the UK and very recently bought this wreck from a breaker in Scotland - the bike has been lying around - evidently outside for years....

I am trying to determine if it would be worth spending money on trying to rebuild this possible classic.

I would appreciated any info you could supply...

Cheers,

Jacques,

Hi jacques

Sorry I should have been more clear. The letters "USA" won't be in the engine or frame number on the bike it's just after the numbers in the book I have to denote a USA model. Can you post some photo's up to see what condition it's in but it will depend how much time/money you will want to spend on it. Have just found this parts book listed on ebay with a 397 prefix that say's Europe 75 so not sure now. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-RD200DX-1975-Fully-Illustrated-Parts-Catalogue-RD200-RD-200-DX-397-/350294887201?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item518f33cb21#ht_731wt_721

Tony

Jacques if you have the reg number then go to https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro?skin=directgov and click on vehicle enquiry enter reg number and make of machineto see if it still on the DVLA register , if it is priont out and fill out the V62 form and send it with £25 to DVLA and they will issue you with the V5

You might want to say hello and tell us a little about you in the new members section. Several routes into this including the one Mervin mentions.

Jacques if you have the reg number then go to https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro?skin=directgov and click on vehicle enquiry enter reg number and make of machineto see if it still on the DVLA register , if it is priont out and fill out the V62 form and send it with £25 to DVLA and they will issue you with the V5

Thanks Mervin, I have an old number plate that came with the wreck... just thrown in so not so sure it was that of the bike... shall try what you suggest though, Cheers Jacques.

Hi jacques

Sorry I should have been more clear. The letters "USA" won't be in the engine or frame number on the bike it's just after the numbers in the book I have to denote a USA model. Can you post some photo's up to see what condition it's in but it will depend how much time/money you will want to spend on it. Have just found this parts book listed on ebay with a 397 prefix that say's Europe 75 so not sure now. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-RD200DX-1975-Fully-Illustrated-Parts-Catalogue-RD200-RD-200-DX-397-/350294887201?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item518f33cb21#ht_731wt_721

Tony

Thanks Tony, The bike is a right rusty mess and will take a hell of a lot of work and money to fix... I was thinking of turning it into a cafe racer type bike with clip ons etc....so then I could use or make other bits - could be quite nice with the 200 twin 2 stroke motor,,, - thanks too for the link to parts.... cheers Jacques.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online