Things you wish you'd known when you were starting out on a bike, and things you're glad you did

Beaky Peaky
This post is 3893 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

In my short time riding, I wish I'd known about the wisdom of avoiding false economies and finding out if what you're getting really suits what you need it for.

So the jacket at £50 might seem a bargain, but if it's like wearing a bin bag in the heat and tissue in the cold and wet, pay more for something good. Also, the cheap lid is OK 'til you realise you could have spent a little extra and got pins on the visor for pinlock and avoided misting up in the rain.

(Still not sure whether this ratchet wrench set from Aldi will fall in to the 'buy cheap, buy twice' category -

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-specialbuys-15th-august/product-detail/ps/p/5-piece-ratchet-wrench-set-1/

I avoided the ratchet handle with sockets because it looked a bit too flimsy:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-specialbuys-15th-august/product-detail/ps/p/ratchet-handle-with-sockets/)

Things I'm already grateful for:

this website (!);

an instructor saying about adjusting how you ride to the conditions, and teaching how to brake on slippery/dangerous surfaces

I'd love to hear what some of you much more experienced heads wish you'd known, and the things you were grateful for knowing from the start.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have tools from Aldi and I use the old adage " the job comes first" that is, if I need to modify the tool for the job, then that is what I do. So far they have been ok except for the screwdrivers.

you don't have to buy expensive, just wisely and always ask opinions

Halfords do some great starter tool sets.

They do great medium and large tool sets (screwdrivers, allen keys, socket & wrench sets, plier sets, etc) for reasonable money.
They cost a little bit, but much less than the fancy Snap-On stuff and for the money are damn good quality. Perfect for a newbie/intermediate rider with one bike, zero to reasonable mechanical skills and will last many years.
Even some professionals use Halfords parts, either the sets or buying that one-off piece that has finally worn out from excessive daily use.

Aldi/Lidl are good for disclocks and waterproofs.

The disclocks usually have the disc detainer type lock, with is a fecking BITCH to try and pick open even with the correct tools. The shank bolt is well shrouded and inacessible to bolt cutters.
The only way to get it off is with a plasma torch or removing the expensive-to-replace brake disc, in which case you're looking at proper pro thieves anyway.

Lidl waterproofs will probably last you a year or two, but at £5 a go, it's far better to keep buying those than the fancy £50 Lewis Leathers ones and find that they leak after two uses and the main zip craps itself after three!!

Got to agree with Ttaskie on Halfords tools - but only the professional range. Very good value for money. I have said it before but keep an eye out just after Christmas as they do have some sets at bargain prices. I wouldn't buy a toolbox with multi mixed set of tools in but their socket sets, screwdriver sets and ratchet spanners are very good. I can also recommend their red toolboxes with lockable drawers. Other than these I like the Draper make.

Tasky is fine ;)

Yep, as DDT says - Avoid the 'mixed' sets, but get those that are specific sets, as in screwdriver set, pliers set (flat, snub & needle), angled pliers sets (BLOODY useful!!) and so on.

Draper, on the other hand, I personally am not a massive fan of. They've done well enough, but feel cheap and do sometimes break in the hands of heavy-handed thugs like myself... :D

Dont think you''l use the spanners much, a 3/8" socket set with extention bars would be far more useful

Aldi and Lidl quality is reasonable, look after your tools like you would your bike and they should last

Waterproof top and overtrousers from an outdoor clothing retailer have done me proud in the last two winters, total outlay about £30

Advice? Dont skimp on servicing, try and do as much as you can yourself (their is great knowledge and support here) its the best way to learn

Dont assume

You'll be surprised how often you'll use a set of spanners - They fit into all the awkward nooks where sockets won't!!

Try and get a set that, among any other sizes, includes 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 & 19mm combination spanners (open at one end, ring at the other).

This Pro set is half price at the moment - Expensive for first outlay, but FANTASTIC value professional kit with decent guarantee and you'll probably never need another set. Once you have it, you'll find so many other jobs you can do as well - Neighbour's car, for example:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_862463_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

Actually, this one is probably the best budget starter set for something that will last:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_862455_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

I got the 64-piece a few years back, but it only goes up to 24mm, lacks spanners and a few extras.

Ive got a halfords pro set of tools, its pretty good, never had any issues with it...I also buy tools from Aldi occasionally, they seem OK to me and cannot be beaten on price, who cares if the odd one may break although it has never happened yet

I still have the non-pro Halford socket set and had it for about 10 years, nothing broken and built 4 engines with them!

the biggest issue is the plastic box they come in, the clear front broke years ago and if you kick it, some sockets come out

Not sure about your side of the pond but here,stanley sells tools with life time guarantee and canadian tire does as well,I have a tool box full of snap-on at work and for home I have the cheap stuff form the above mentioned realy they work just as well,just if something breaks I have to take it back to the store vs at work the tool truck shows up weekly. And if I need to modifie a tool the cheap stuff get it done to it and not a frackin 40 dollar snapon wrench.

Over the years of turning wrenches for a living I have learned that when buying tools I look at how often will I realy need this tool,any high use tool then spend big, if I'm only going to need it a couple of times now and then cheap.Like my impact gun yes I spent 600.00 on it and my air wratchet cost 600.00,but for the average person the cheapest gun and wratchet will work but stay with brand name not the cheapey cheapy made in china crap

The best thing to do is put the tool on a bolt/nut and see if it actualy fits..sure it says 14mm but is it realy 14mm some of that cheap stuff is more like 14.3mm this is what makes rounded bolts and nuts and get you busted knuckels and bleading and make a otherwise simple job hard.If they don't fit return them befor you use them.

When it come to buying ridin gear then ask everyone I bought Joe rocket pants with a year warrenty and returned them every year for the last 5 years they are crap the stiching come out the zipper break and they are a big company,I bought a no name jacket knock off of a joe rocket jacket 9 years ago and it has only broken one zipper, so no Idea about whats good in that department,I think that just the luck of the draw.

Tools are so addictive......................................they should have a Government health warning on them.

• Like 1

Tools are so addictive......................................they should have a Government health warning on them.

So true I could have bought another house with the cash i've spent on tools

Definitely worth buying the right tools for the job! I used to make do with my shoddy tool kit but eventually splashed out on things like socket set and a torque wrench, made maintainence 10 times easier! Things would come off without shearing the tools!

I guess my biggest lesson learnt for maintainence anyway is to keep cleaning the bike, not only does keeping it clean reduce the wear etc, but I've caught plenty of little things that could have turned worse like loose side stand bolts etc.

Something else to know in advance - You will NEVER get 100% waterproof on your bike.
Even the most expensive waterproofs can/will end up leaking. The crotch is a particularly common point. The back of the neck is another, where the rain dribbles down the back of your lid and thence your collar. Also anywhere you have pressure, such as rucksack straps.

On that same note, trust NOTHING that says your luggage is waterproof. Get some thick, heavy duty plastic bags and put your kit inside that before loading into your luggage. If you ride very often, look into the hard wearing Ortlieb style waterproof bags with roll-top openings.

Always carry a few tools and bits - Gaffer tape and cable ties, paracord or decent bootlaces, spare bulbs, little bottle of WD40, etc. Where possible, find out the contents of your bike's original tool kit and assemble something similar.

• Like 1

From other threads I am not going to see eye to eye with Ttaskmaster on everything but he is bang on about tools.

I am an electrical mechanical engineer and tools are my bread and butter but the DIY mechanic doesn’t need Snap On or Britool or stahlwilly.

The Halfords range are ideal for a DIY mechanic strong durable and will last a lifetime, also consider machine mart or Cromwell tools Kennedy range there good for the odd lost one from a set.

You won’t wear these items out on a bike or car, if you have an older bike make sure you have an impact wrench you will need it to get the silly cross head screws out then replace with stainless cap screws.

The kits are a good way to start a lot of kit at bargain prices and add the odds and sods later, just make sure you get the best Allen keys you can afford they have a poor drive efficiency and very very easy to damage on smaller screws.

Buy what you need to do the job and don’t try to compromise with something else I still have most of a set of Halfords Spanners I brought to use on my first Honda C 50 about 2 hundred years ago. The ones I don’t have are not worn or broken they are lost or nicked. Don’t lend your tools to mates unless you are sure you will remember who borrowed them as well.

Good luck with the DIY mechaincing I learnt more about machines and how things go together and work messing about with cars and bikes than I did at collage,

How is it when people type my user ID it links to my profile, now?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online