new member, new owner, generally new...

nicknew
This post is 4058 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all

i've recently set about the challenge of restoring a yb 100 to somewhere near it's former glory (i'd settle for running) but it's fair to say the bike is in a fairly poor state of repair and i would appreciate some advice along the lines of whether or not this is a non-starter or basically where to begin.

have purchased the haynes manual and from a brief look on line i can see all the bits are available one way or another. some photos below and I should mention i also am missing the keys (!) but hey-ho...

any feedback / guidance on where to begin would be much appreciated.

Nick

IMG_0920_zps1e51ff0f.jpg

IMG_0922_zps5837cbdd.jpgIMG_0927_zpsa57e02a9.jpg

IMG_0925_zps496d7a19.jpg

IMG_0928_zps941afe25.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome:

:wavey: hello and welcome.

I managed to find keys on ebay by the number stamped on the ignition barrel. Not sure if yours will be similar.

WOW!!!! Now thats a barn find if I ever saw one...good luck with the restore...and a very good welcome

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The best way to begin is to start a project thread. This will allow all of the posts - questions and answers - to be in one place on the forum. Rule number one is always to take as many digital photos as you can BEFORE you start stripping the bike down.

Getting hold of a workshop manual is a must. Copyright laws do not allow the posting of links etc on the forum.

Obviously a good selection of tools helps and use Plusgas for unseizing things, not WD40.

Try and find some reliable sources for cross referencing parts - old bike parts are often shared across several models and it helps when searching for bits. Remember that US ebay often has parts not on UK ebay so log into the .com site and have a look.

Identify what parts on the bike are rare. This means that you can keep a search for these parts going, just in case, and it will help you to remember which parts you need to protect in case you have to destroy a part in the strip down.

Good luck.

Identify which parts

wow if you realy wanted a chalange you found it,Welcome and good luck with the restore

Welcome to the nuthouse mate, and with your project, it looks like you belong here

Good luck.

I would usually say

stick a new battery in, an oil and filter change, some fuel and see if it runs, but from your pics thats a wee bit away.

Looks a tough rebuild but hopefully not as bad as it looks, the front mudguard is a write off but might get a paten part, if not the size is about right for the raft of Chinese 125s on the market one of those might do with a few tweaks and parts are cheap as chips.

Hopefully the rear mudguard will clean up they are harder to find, the exhaust will brake of at down pipe when you try to remove it. That will be a hard item to find I suspect a new seat cover is so cheap it is almost free.

Just those would make it look so much better but then there is the hart the engine, have you got the missing side case? could be hard to get. Might be best to look for a complete engine and use the best bits to make 1 good one, try and keep the original cases so engine number matches the frame and can sell the bits left over on E Bay.

As has been said lots of photos, then take some more, than to be safe take more, most of us like to get engine running first but you are a long way from that but the buzz you get when it does fire up is unbelievable almost better than sex.

Don’t get distracted give yourself a time frame that will match your budget, how far do you want to go concourse show winner? Very tidy weekend ride or a daily hack. If daily hacks don’t go too far as all your good work will need doing again in a few years just get it tidy and keep it running.

Good luck if you win it will be worth it if you get fed up don’t leave it lying about or you will never finish and I can tell you there are a great many unfinished projects about yours dosnt want to be one

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online