Getting more confident with filtering.

j0hn
This post is 3923 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just remember, the faster you filter the less time you have to allow for assholes.

This is exactly what I was doing on a GPZ600 in January when the ass in the right lane decided he wanted to be in the left lane and 'didn't see' that I was in his way. Next thing I knew I was picking myself up off the road and he had a GPZ sized dent in his rear passenger door.

Always good when the confidence levels build - well done j0hn. I commute (and filter) through that kind of traffic daily. Just an observation (from experience) but when able to fall back into either lane, I always do rather than commit to the centre line rigidly - I find it gives me more space should one of the space hoppers try a sudden lane change. I also try to filter through as vehicles in both lanes are sitting side by side - makes the likelihood of them moving left or right less likely. Just a thought :) ride safe !!

Damn obriens65, sorry to hear that. Were you at 100% fault? I don't always filter that fast but I totally agree with the lack of time for reaction. It has been almost one year since I started riding and this was pretty much the only time I thought it would be safe for faster filtering than my usual speed, I was pretty excited :P

Thanks for the great tips Mallory1, never thought about the side by side scenario but it makes perfect sense. I see what you mean about moving back into a lane, near the end I could have moved back to the left but the red car making the space for me made me want to stay in the middle and overtake. Notes taken for next filtering session!

I just don't get enough of these situations to improve my skills and not a load of dodgy drivers so I'm still a bit naive :icon_sad: .

J0hn, I learn every time I go out on the bike. If you're not learning you're not switched on in my humble opinion.

Heh, don't get me wrong, I'm always learning too :D. What I meant was that it's hard to improve my skills on filtering when I don't get a lot of opportunities to do so. If an opportunity arises, I try my best take in as much as I can. Having experienced riders such as yourself look at the footage and give me feedback eases the whole process, especially things you may not catch the first time.

Lol. Knew what u meant. When I said if " you're not learning" I meant all of us - not specifically you :)

Sure we all learn from one another !

Damn obriens65, sorry to hear that. Were you at 100% fault?

I wasn't at fault at all. The car driver didn't look and just changed lanes with no indication. The traffic police that stopped shortly after the accident (who says there's never one around when you need one) agreed that he was to blame and so did his insurance company as they paid out the full cost of my bike.

I think the law states that you can filter only if the traffic is moving slow and you can safely filter to make progress, but if you filter to get in front of a row of traffic at a red light then you can be done for attempting to race.

But don't quote me as im no legal bof

I'm not sure about getting done for filtering up to a red traffic light lol. I've done it a few times, going past police cars and even stopping next to some of them when I get to the lights. No idea how that could be classified as attempting to race.

just from my newbie knowledge, filtering is illegal in UK but you can make it to be legal if you do it safely. so, keep a low speed when you do this so you have time to react, don`t go if in front of you is a hazard posibility (like trafic lights changing,

a lorry near a junction).

later edit, video

I looked around a while back about filtering in the UK and what I found was that it's neither legal nor illegal to filter, but yes, as long as it's done safely and the conditions allows you to do so, then it's perfectly fine. There is actually no law set out for filtering, as long as you don't break any other laws (double white lines, speeding etc.) while doing so.

That's a great video, I'm not an expect on the whole matter, but, I don't know whether he forgot to mention this or just completely ignored the step of shoulder checking/life saver before moving out to the opposite lane to overtake. It does go without saying but if anyone is to learn from the video then it's a vital piece of information that should have been included. No doubt some drivers try their luck on overtaking on the opposite side of the road (turning right for instance) and situations like this could be fatal.

When i done my test my instructor told me about a chap that just past his test and a week later got done for filtering past a row of cars to get to the front of the Que at a red light, his was then given 3 points and £60 fine for attempting to race. again i think this is all down to your local plod.

Iive been talked to by a copper down here as i was smoking whilst riding my bike but i won the argument as i rightly said i still have complete control over my bike as both hands are always on the controls where as car drivers can smoke and take a hand/ both hands off the wheel to smoke.

Three points and a fine? That's absurd! I've lost count of the number of times I've filtered past police and stopped right next to. Glad to see the local police here is more sensible.

oh, are you not supposed to go straight to the front every time ? :eusa_shifty:

cant say i even thought there was an alternative but I've jumped straight in to the deep end and commute in London where its the law to get to the front and filter at every opportunity as that's what bikes where made for :biglaugha:

Yer i don't disagree with you, just saying that somewhere there is a guy (or gal) that could screw us over for the smallest most harmless thing going :biglaugha:

• 1 month later...

Is the video by any chance a road I'm Scotland? Heading towards Glasgow? Looks familiar.

With filtering I have two personal rules I stick to so I don't become cocky, only go as fast as i can that I can still avoid any car in front if it pulls out on me (so when there is a gap in either lane I slow down in anticipation that the car in the other lane may move across) and second is that I don't filter if traffic is moving faster than 30mph (don't know why I do this but just a personal rule)

Is the video by any chance a road I'm Scotland? Heading towards Glasgow? Looks familiar.

M77, Glasgow-Kilmarnock

As stated above, filtering is not illegal as long as it is done with due regard to the other rules of the road. Filtering past stationary traffic at 80mph would be dangerous, crossing solid whites, overtaking on zigzags, etc

A month or so ago I was out a run with my boy, on crossing the Erskine Bridge we came to a long line of static traffic. Ever filtered I ask.'no' was the reply. My advice was keep a safe distance behind me (incase I get knocked off), keep your eyes peeled for folk trying to close the gap, and only take the gap if you think it is safe. Never mind if I get through it, make sure you can. Finally if at any time you want to stop filtering just pull in.

The filtering lasted right up to the Balloch roundabound, so was around 8-9 miles. The boy done good.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online