92 Xj600 pre-diversion cutting out 5-10 mins from startup.

huff_diggler
This post is 3958 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As title suggest, from cold, it starts on the button, runs with choke on for a couple of minutes, turn choke off, runs smooth for the best part of 5-10 mins, then without warning, no splutter or cough, it stops, then refuses to start- no spark.

Wait until it gets cold, then, it starts on the the button, runs with choke for a couple of minutes, turn choke off, runs smooth for the best part of 5-10 mins, then without warning..... Repeat until you get the idea, immerse yourself in gloom. I've checked the connections, cleaned etc, checked me voltages, all gravy, and with the coils in a warm state, checked for continuity, again all good, my finger is pointing toward the cdi unit, tid14-78a 3km-01, but, due to some incredible prices, I'm begging for it not to be, the solder on the cdi looks good, there is no darkened patches on the board, or popped caps,nothing looks out of place. Yet due to the nature of the repeated cut out at near on exact times, I'm just not sure, seems like something is getting warm as the engine also is getting warm from cold, and is toasty after ten mins of running, that's why I checked the coils for continuity when they were warm. Rectifier bares no relevance as the bike can run when the rectifier is plugged in or not.

Now this has been the problem since, for no reason, it backfired whilst riding around 25-30mph, then it lost power very briefly whilst nipping round a slower vehicle, revs dropped off, then went back up again, and it's cut out a couple of times when I've been riding and stopped, sitting in neutral. But now it won't re-start at all, all since it back fired. Was a reliable bike before the back fire. Any help from the wise would be most appreciated, money is an issue as I'm down to a 3 day week... It Never rains. :rolleyes:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

couldn't possibly be the battery could it - just that I had similar issues with mine and it turned out to be a duff battery even though it was months old.

battery is fine, 12.8v just sitting there and 14v when running.

I'd have thought coils too but youve proved them to be ok...including all the coils in the engine and the HT coils?

not tried the stator coil or the pick up yet, that is my next point of call, and today's job, many thanks for the advice guy's :thumbup:

Just a thought, but mine had a similar fault, would run lovely for a few miles BUT as soon as I opened it up it would start to misfire then slowly get worse and worse till it ground to a halt, even called out the AA on the last mission and he failed to come up with anything that might be wrong UNTIL I really looked at the bike and noticed that the fuel line was trapped between the tank and the seat, I felt a right pillock!! :crazy: had just been squashing the fuel line every time I sat on it. Check it's not something stupid before you buy expensive bits you don't need. As I say just a thought. Hope you get it sorted. :jossun:

Just a thought, but mine had a similar fault, would run lovely for a few miles BUT as soon as I opened it up it would start to misfire then slowly get worse and worse till it ground to a halt, even called out the AA on the last mission and he failed to come up with anything that might be wrong UNTIL I really looked at the bike and noticed that the fuel line was trapped between the tank and the seat, I felt a right pillock!! :crazy: had just been squashing the fuel line every time I sat on it. Check it's not something stupid before you buy expensive bits you don't need. As I say just a thought. Hope you get it sorted. :jossun:

it cuts out without sitting on it mate, thanks though.

Hi mate...

I have had a mate with the same problem although on Kawasaki...It was the charging system.....It was over charging which was causing the cdi to cut out....

what is the next step? How did you get over this? Thanks buddy.

New voltage regulator.If money is tight check out klumes fix using another regulator

im still non the wiser, regulator is cheaper than a cdi, so because nothing is jumping out, new regulator it will be.

disconnected the regulator, does the same so cdi is looking like its at fault....bugger.

• 3 weeks later...

Me again.... :rolleyes: right I still have no joy to report, my cdi is the last of the pre diversion cdi's, and rare as hens teeth, will a cdi from an older xj600 work? the fz600 doesn't as the wiring is slightly different to the plug, I'm looking at getting a cdi from an xj600 from a 51j model, my model is a 3km, seriously, any help would be hugely appreciated, I love riding my xj, and miss her terribly...

Just noticed, while is in it's no spark state, when ignition is first turned on, there is no oil light, just neutral. then when the engine is being turned over via starter motor, the oil light comes on.

I'm sure that when I first turned it over earlier on in the evening, to show a buddy what was happening, the oil light was on when I turned the ignition to on. My zed from cold does the same thing, so does my car.

Would this make the cdi think there was a fault with the oil switch? Or think there was no oil at all? Clutching straws here.

Have you thought of having one of these mobile electrical motor engineers have a look at your bike? I know it's not the done thing to admit defeat but my son's car had an intermitant fault on one of the ign modules and I finally threw in the towel and called one of these guys out, cost me £30 and he fixed it in about 25 minutes, had my head under the bonnet for a day and a half!! It might save you money in the long run as just changing stuff till you get it right is time consuming and expensive. Just an idea you understand but these guys come with state of the art kit and you get to learn stuff from them that comes in handy later.

Have you thought of having one of these mobile electrical motor engineers have a look at your bike? I know it's not the done thing to admit defeat but my son's car had an intermitant fault on one of the ign modules and I finally threw in the towel and called one of these guys out, cost me £30 and he fixed it in about 25 minutes, had my head under the bonnet for a day and a half!! It might save you money in the long run as just changing stuff till you get it right is time consuming and expensive. Just an idea you understand but these guys come with state of the art kit and you get to learn stuff from them that comes in handy later.

yep sounds good to me, I'm getting right frustrated now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Huff assume you called someone in to have a look at it, nice to hear that you got it going. stay safe.