advanced motorcycle/enhanced rider scheme??

Matthew Duncan
This post is 4132 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

whats the difference between advanced motorcycle and enhanced rider scheme?

i want to do a bit of further training as my sv got a bti slippy in the rain, and i dont have near the confidence in it as i did my yammy

Thanks,

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

To learn bike control do a trackday with instructors. I have done a couple and they are ace.

For road work ask the police. The do observed rides where you go for a ride with the police. Surprising fun and you learn a lot. You also learn just how fast those plods can go.

You can listen to the Advanced riders or whatever it is they are but i didnt like their ideas or methods. Fancy riding line astern in rain and hug the gutter in corners. I wouldnt and they said it was that or go. So i goed.

To learn bike control do a trackday with instructors. I have done a couple and they are ace.

For road work ask the police. The do observed rides where you go for a ride with the police. Surprising fun and you learn a lot. You also learn just how fast those plods can go.

You can listen to the Advanced riders or whatever it is they are but i didnt like their ideas or methods. Fancy riding line astern in rain and hug the gutter in corners. I wouldnt and they said it was that or go. So i goed.

cheers, i have done my bikesafe, and got an assessed ride with the police and and instruction from the advanced motorist bla bla but was wondering what the best option for me was, i phoned my instructor - whom i done my test with and he reccomended the enhanced rider scheme, being it cornering/wet that is knocking me back but will decided after i do an assessment ride

My instructor was also instructor for the Police and taught me a lot of very little things that aren't on the test but make a lot of difference and a lot of sense.

We spoke about Advanced Riding schemes and he had some good to say about it, but also an equal amount of bad.

Personally, I've known a few Advanced riders including a couple here at work. Those I have actually ridden with have pulled some eyebrow-raising moves. All of those I've known ended up with points on their licences (mainly speeding) and a few have had accidents from attempting advanced techniques that just were not safe for the circumstances.

Not saying all Advanced riding is like that, but I've always been just a touch dubious.

yeah, i dont undestand how you can get taught to "speed resopnsibly" haha

thats wht i wasnt sure what i was needing, all i was wanting was a something that would help me improve my current skills, aswell as help me gain confidence in myself and the bike.

not sure if im just not used to the sv or dont like, but i've totally lost my balls since selling my yamaha, and i know its good to allways be on the cautious side, rather than the cockey side, but im weeey past cautuois.

Probs just a mindset things . . .

No its the bikes. The 600 sounds and produces very different power to the sv.

The sv will have instant out of corner drive where the yam would have needed some revs to come on song. This is whats upsetting you.

Your normal riding style evolved on the 600 would have you opening the throttle and it would be slightly later that the bike would respond with any punch.

The sv doesent give you that time. Its instant so you are opening the throttle too early with most likely a bit of lean still on.

No its the bikes. The 600 sounds and produces very different power to the sv.

The sv will have instant out of corner drive where the yam would have needed some revs to come on song. This is whats upsetting you.

Your normal riding style evolved on the 600 would have you opening the throttle and it would be slightly later that the bike would respond with any punch.

The sv doesent give you that time. Its instant so you are opening the throttle too early with most likely a bit of lean still on.

He is dam right matt, every word,,, :yeah:

yeah, i dont undestand how you can get taught to "speed resopnsibly" haha

Go reasonably fast when it's safe, clear and you can.

This does not include when there's a cop with a speed gun or a camera round the corner, or 130 in a 50, when filtering, etc... That seems to be when the majority of them got pulled.

Just to reinforce what cynic said. The fun with the SV is to crank it just before the apex knowing you are going to go a little wide. Pulling out of corners and gunning it on the twisty bits are the key. Also let the engine brake when you need it to. When you come off the throttle it will decelerate a lot faster than an inline 4. With a little experience you can shove the bike up the inside of most others on a bend and be away before they can get their power on. A more powerful straight 4 will catch you on the straights but if the next corner is looming then you can stuff them again.

Responsible Speed.

My rule of thumb is dont go so fast that you can't stop within the distance you can see in front of you.

I dont know how much experience of bikes you have, or if you used the bike much during the winter, I know I didnt, but if your confidence has taken a dip, slow down to a speed your comfortable with, find a road your happy on and use it to build your confidence/knowledge of the sv

cheers for the comments guys, i did think it was not getting used to the bike - but i was fine on it when i first had the step up, untill she started getting a bit loose in the wet.

Responsible Speed.

My rule of thumb is dont go so fast that you can't stop within the distance you can see in front of you.

I dont know how much experience of bikes you have, or if you used the bike much during the winter, I know I didnt, but if your confidence has taken a dip, slow down to a speed your comfortable with, find a road your happy on and use it to build your confidence/knowledge of the sv

Basically, ive been on bikes (offroad) since i was about 10, then on the road at 16, never got my car tilll i was 19 and by that time i had passed my bike test and was on my bike, rain snow or shine - all year round. but yeah, hopefully when the weather improves a bit my confidence will just grow and grow, but i feel like i've backed down a heck of a lot from when i was on the yammy.

my training is booked for the 25th of this month, starting with an assessed ride - so hopefully any problems/concerns i have will be raised there and resolved.

being 19, the certificate i get from the DSA will apparently make about 30% reduction on the cost of my insurance . . . apparently . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a fee for the BikeSafe course and do you get some sort of test at the end? I've been interested in doing one of these more advanced courses but I'm not sure if they would be suitable to do on a 125cc.

• Like 1

I did my enhanced rider scheme on my 125, was fine until we got to a motorway and the instructor/other rider just fu&%ed off and left me miles behind. Caught them up eventually by blind luck...

There's a Bikesafe event at Doncaster Racecourse Sat 8th/Sun 9th June with free assessed rides http://www.bikesafeshow.co.uk/

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online