XV535 carbs HELP!!!!!

plimb
This post is 4001 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

A carb on my 91 XV 535 Virago has it's mixture screw head sheered off.Does any one know of some one willing to under take the the task of removing it ,

As i am having trouble finding any one brave enough to do it .

As the screw is in a hole in the carb body and is not accessible .

Are there no super hero out there. :eusa_doh:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Because that screw is so small i would use a cheap allen key to remove it.

Get a pin vice. http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/2413_1_10903.html

and a 1mm drill bit.

Very carefully drill the screw, clean out the swarf. Then superglue a 1mm allen key into the hole. Just use a very small amount of glue on the very tip of the key. You should then be able to unscrew it.

Just take your time, Brass can be hard to drill. Don't be tempted to get the electric drill out tho as 1 slip could see you messing up that very soft alu casing or if the bit jams kill the carb threads.

There is a Games Workshop on church street in Macclesfield. They should have this pin vice in stock and it comes with some tiny drill bits. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat470006a&prodId=prod1095460

Thank you thats the best advice i have had.

I have spoken to carb repairers and they have a sharp intake of breath at the idea.

So i should get a pin vice and a hand drill to do the job.

Thanks again for your advice

The pin vice is the drill :D It's a palm drill. The end that sits in your palm rotates.

You cup the pin vice in your palm, and rotate it with your fingers. The drill pressure comes from your arm. Like i said brass can be hard to drill but your not going to do any damage this way. As soon as you try and use it you will see how they work. Just make sure you turn it the correct way.

If you get one from games workshop they will show you how to use it, The GW hobby uses it to put small pins into metal models so they don't fall apart when they get glued.

This is a different application for the tool but it shows the grip well.

Thank you now that i have seen it i know what you mean.

Thank you again for your help. :hyper:

It's no problem. I have one for the GW hobby I do, But it has been used on many things outside of the hobby, mainly laptop screws.

Mine is like the steel one shown in the video. It'll take bits from 0.5mm to 4mm. The GW one only takes 1mm to 2mm drill bits.

Your also going to snap a few bits. It takes some practice not to twist. The best advice is get a stool. Get comfortable, then use both hands and just go slow. One you have a hole thats 5mm deep you can start to try working the key into it. If they key won't fit just use the drill at varying angles and ream the hole till it goes in nice and snug, If you get it perfect then you won't even need to glue it as using the key at an angle should start to turn the screw.

This could take some time to sort out as i have alot of things going on.

But i will post the results as soon as i have done it ,

I need to get a replacement mixture screw first This seems to be the only option open at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to try and do it while it is still fitted FINGERS crossed.

I spoke to a carb repairer who recons carbs and he said that it is most feasible idea he has heard.

Just waiting to get the mixture screw off them.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online