Carburetor pump repair possible? xv125 virago

Kelum
This post is 4045 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

image0972.jpg

The pump attached to the float bowl does not seem to operate right...earlier I remember as I pressed it the whole at the middle of the bowl ejected petrol....I placed the bowl like shown in the pic and poured some petrol to the bowl area covering the hole at the middle, coming from the pump...I feel like some air leak in the pump and there is no ejection...I believe the the other hole running vertically to the top and coming to the top of the carb-air inlet feeds the little needle at the top to initiate start...

1. what happens if the pump washers etc. go worn? does it affect the starting? What does this circuit really do?

When I was cleaning the carb with carb cleaner ( Abro) I sprayed some of it into these holes too while pressing pump...Bike was starting without issue until yesterday it didnt... When I opened the carb I found some slimy and kinda calcified /salt like stuff formed inside, and the pilot jet hole plus above pump's middle opening ( float bowl middle) was kinda blocked with this slimy stuff..

2.What is this slimy stuff? some rubber washer inside pump has dissolved in petrol and blocked the whole circuitry?

3. I tried to open the pump to see whats going on inside, it was so tough I was afraid I would break carb bowl, so I quit...Is it openable and repairable?

Thanks guys..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Chances are the brake/carb cleaner has dissolved the rubber pipework slightly.

Tetrachloroethylene is used primarily as a dry cleaning agent, an industrial solvent for fats, oils, tars, rubber, and gums, and a metal degreasing agent.

If you read the warnings on the can it probably tells you to avoid contact with rubber and plastic as it melts them.

You should now replace all the rubber parts that have come into contact with the cleaner. Pipework could become brittle and or thinned, and increase your risk of a fuel leak. And the rubber diapram has probably lost it's shape and seal.

Petrol will not disolve any of your components, The fuel assembly is designed to be resistant to it. It is not resistant to Tetrachloroethylene the active chemical in most carb/brake cleaners.

Your carb should be fine. It may need stripping and cleaning. The Pump at the very least will need a new diaphram. Chances are it's cheaper to replace the full pump, Or grab a salvaged one.

Chances are the brake/carb cleaner has dissolved the rubber pipework slightly.

If you read the warnings on the can it probably tells you to avoid contact with rubber and plastic as it melts them.

You should now replace all the rubber parts that have come into contact with the cleaner. Pipework could become brittle and or thinned, and increase your risk of a fuel leak. And the rubber diapram has probably lost it's shape and seal.

Petrol will not disolve any of your components, The fuel assembly is designed to be resistant to it. It is not resistant to Tetrachloroethylene the active chemical in most carb/brake cleaners.

Your carb should be fine. It may need stripping and cleaning. The Pump at the very least will need a new diaphram. Chances are it's cheaper to replace the full pump, Or grab a salvaged one.

Hi thanks for the reply...

Am kinda confused, are yo referring to the pump I have shown in the picture, the black one? Or the vacuum piston which has a diaphragm ?

I checked inside, there was this gell like thing covering holes of jets...cleaned and now bike starting. This means the pump should be ok...

Nothing seem to have worn out so far...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online