sun is/was shining

welshwan
This post is 4008 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thought i would go for a nice little ride through the welsh countryside today. Had a great time, saw some lovely sights.

Here's a few pictures of how awesome wales is B) hahahahah:

(do forgive the lack of picture quality, these were taken on my phone)

Firstly here's Barmouth bridge (it is 820 m long so just over half a mile of wooden planks, and fuck me do they make a noise) very good fun....the toll is £2.50 to cross on a motorbike HOWEVER there is very rarely anyone there to pay this time of year, in summer months i have been told there is someone there in the daytime. The bridge is open 24/7, i highly recommend you give this ago if you are ever in the Barmouth area!

20130305150851barmouth.jpg

Here's what it looks like from a distance (not my picture) :

Barmouth_bridge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1315

Once i had crossed it, it was up towards the mountains in the background of the second picture i headed.

Up there, there is a greenlane called 'bomber lane', it is called this because on the 8th of June 1945 a B-17G Flying Fortress from 511th Bomb Squadron, 351st Bombardment Group, crashed on Craig Cwm Llwyd on its way from Polebrook to RAF Valley, which was in fact the first leg of its journey back to the USA.

Here's a picture of the plaque in honer of these men (the first two pictures i took, and the third i found online)

20130303161147bomber.jpg

20130303161213.jpg

b17_plaque.jpg

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Unfortunately i was unable to take pictures of the more challenging parts of the lane as i was on my own, and could only put the bike on the stand to get a picture on the easier parts.

A nice rut that water crossing the path made (this was pretty deep, over my foot pegs and about 15 meters long) picture doesn't do it justice)

20130301165314rut.jpg

• Like 1

Some fantastic pics there welshwan, never seen that bridge before...great fun eh :thumb:

Thanks buddy :) hopefully a few more pics to come.

It's a great one man! I love it, i try and cross it every time i am in the area and saves you a fair few miles compared to going inland and around the estuary. : actually here is a rough, VERY rough map of the difference (red is the usual way-or should i say the cage way) and (green is the shortcut across the bridge) barmouthshortcutmap.jpg

by the estimate about 25 miles saved!!!

cool bridge, been to Barmouth too but never knew it was there

Tell you what it is damn near impossible to find unless you know the area very well or someone has already shown you.....so next time i go there i will try and get pictures of the little path that turns off the road down to the bridge (on both sides if i can :) )

I will see what i can find using google for now....but might have to wait until i get over to Barmouth next.

• Like 1

Here's a a couple of shots of the road its self:

Looking back in the direction towards Dolgellau:

20130305165433road2.jpg

This is where i am heading (a place called Rhoslefain):

20130305165428road1.jpg

Hard to see without me pointing it out, so this is where the road is going right through the hills (writing done using paint so give me a brake lol):

20130305165428road1here.jpg

A nice little bog along the way.

Bike on stand as i'm psyching myself up to take it on:

20130305170306bog1.jpg

The bog, however the camera has managed to make it look like a mere puddle:

20130305170314bog2.jpg

I made it out the other end intact! :

20130305170532bog3.jpg

Not looking too filthy considering it just went through that lot:

20130305170542bog4.jpg

Here is the way down to the bridge from the Barmouth side

zoomed out map (pink dot):

barmouthmap1.jpg

zoomed in slightly (red dot):

barmouthmap2.jpg

Street view coming from Dolgellau into Barmouth, this is just into the 30MPH zone, up the first hill, down the other side, round the corner and then there is a small straight part of the road with a row of very large semi detached houses to your right. The turning to the bridge is right opposite the last couple of houses (on your left) In this pic the turning is right next to the blue, red and white signs:

barmouthmapstreetview1.jpg

I will do it from the Fairbourne side in the next few days :) as it takes a fair bit of faffing to get all the pictures and to explain. but definitely in the next few days :)

I've been up that way quite a few times, but didn't know you could ride the bridge.

lovely scenery and great coastal riding.

I was also in Wales today, but i was in my cage and was on the m4 (horrible, just horrible).

I've been up that way quite a few times, but didn't know you could ride the bridge.

lovely scenery and great coastal riding.

I was also in Wales today, but i was in my cage and was on the m4 (horrible, just horrible).

Don't think loads of people know that you can ride it (including the locals) in the winter i got alot of nasty looks off of the people walking the bridge.

But today when there were clearly more tourists around they ALL moved right over to the side for me and gave me a nod,wave or smile as i passed. (felt good man :) )

Oh by the way if ANY busybody nosey wannabe copper tells you that you can not ride across just point out that there is a toll charge specifically for motorcycles! and that they should mind there own bloody business!

And yes very nice scenery! i just love the mountains

and speaking of the lovely mountains and scenery:

20130305155752hills4.jpg

20130305155738hills3.jpg

20130305155151hills2.jpg

20130228171656hills1.jpg

(for these photos i had to leave the bike behind and walk abit off the lane)

Great photos! Looks like you enjoyed yourself - hope you enjoyed cleaning the bike after too! :spin2:

Thanks for telling us about the bridge too - a hidden gem.

Great photos! Looks like you enjoyed yourself - hope you enjoyed cleaning the bike after too! :spin2:

Thanks for telling us about the bridge too - a hidden gem.

cleaning her 2morow as it was late and i was knackered when i got home .....lazy i know!

I do love riding the bridge, and saves me so much time on my 125.

cleaning her 2morow as it was late and i was knackered when i got home .....lazy i know!

I do love riding the bridge, and saves me so much time on my 125.

Far from lazy - my poor bike has gone without a proper clean since December... :eusa_shifty: I'm actually ashamed to say that! All I've done is cleaned and lubed the chain as and when, but the rest of the bike has gone without.

Thankfully that December clean involved a thorough clean and a full coat of ACF50. Well I'm telling myself that was a good thing. :eusa_whistle:

Fear not though everyone - full clean pencilled in for this weekend, I promise!! :jossun:

• Like 1

Interesting, I knew that the Barmouth railway bridge had a footpath and allowed pedal bikes, didn't realise you could also cross with a motorbike.

Seems that very few people know u can ride it! My bike instructor said he had a go on a gsxr....bet that was interesting.

Here's a picture i found online (this is the 2007 prices, they have gone up since then)

Check out the bottom one on the list :icon_cool:

BarmouthBridge_TollPrices2007.jpg

Welshwan

Do you mind if I borrow some of your pics, another forum I visit has a guy fixated with bridges. I will, of course, credit you with it. And if you know, how would I write Bridge Club in Welsh?