Hello! Yamaha YG5T (1968) Clutch Cable

wooddav3
This post is 4044 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey!

I am new to riding, and have a old Yamaha YG5T. I saw my bike in a picture on google, next to another bike that is often up at my school parking lot (). I recently broke my clutch cable, and bought a replacement off the internet. I installed the new cable into the lever, but am unable to figure out how to properly insert the other end of the cable into the housing. Is there anyone in this club that can point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much

Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: aboard Dave! Love your YG5T! :wub: Brings a smile every time I see her in the parking lot.

Have you got a service manual for her? They're essential for DIY stuff like cables. I searched a little on the net and only found one... in Idaho of all places. :eusa_think:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=360498996734

Hey!

I am new to riding, and have a old Yamaha YG5T. I saw my bike in a picture on google, next to another bike that is often up at my school parking lot (). I recently broke my clutch cable, and bought a replacement off the internet. I installed the new cable into the lever, but am unable to figure out how to properly insert the other end of the cable into the housing. Is there anyone in this club that can point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much

Dave

So, which one is yours Sach?

So, which one is yours Sach?

The green and white ('72 G7S) is mine. :)

And Dave, I don't know what I was thinking... the Clymer manual I have for the '72 covers your bike too. :) This is the one I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLYMER-YAMAHA-YJ2-LST-YL2-Rotary-Valves-Singles-1963-1974-MANUAL-/160938279099?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&vxp=mtr&hash=item2578ab40bb, but here's one from '63-71 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clymer-Yamaha-Rotary-Valve-Singles-1963-1971-Service-Repair-Handbook-Manual-/250894435227

You should be able to remove the carburetor cover (R/H side) and unscrew the old cable. It should have a kind of ball end that slips inside a push lever/arm. The manual isn't real specific about how to remove the clutch cable, but goes over how to adjust it instead. I'll see if I can get pics of mine while I'm in the shop today.

The green and white ('72 G7S) is mine. :)

Isn't that a fizzy? and don't you have to display "L" plates

Isn't that a fizzy? and don't you have to display "L" plates

I have a full motorcycle endorsement... since the late 90s. But we don't have to display "L" plates in the US. We go, take a written test, they give us a learner permit. There aren't any cc restrictions... only caveats are no riding at night, no riding with passengers, and no riding on the highways. Then once you're comfortable riding (within 180 days or something) you can take the skills test and get your endorsement (if you pass).

I went a little different route and took the STAR (skills training advantage for riders) course because I had only ever been a pillion rider or ridden off road. Even after I got my endorsement I stuck to off road, but now I am comfortable with my skills (at least with the little bikes) and enjoy street riding. :)

It is quite similar to the FS1-Es, but it's not. I think the fizzy is a 50cc moped... mine's just a US model 80cc, no ped. ??

Edited by Sacha

Cheers Sacha, that explains everything, I think?

So are you a fully qualified biker?

I have got to be honest since I passed my test the laws have changed so much here in the UK.

All I can say is that I'm glad my my sperm is white and my urine is yellow otherwise I wouldn't know whether I'm coming or going. :)

Cheers Sacha, that explains everything, I think?

So are you a fully qualified biker?

I have got to be honest since I passed my test the laws have changed so much here in the UK.

All I can say is that I'm glad my my sperm is white and my urine is yellow otherwise I wouldn't know whether I'm coming or going. :)

LMAO!! I'm not sure our laws have changed much since I got my endorsement. I guess you could say I'm a fully qualified biker (meaning no size restrictions)... but so far I prefer to stick to bikes that I can pick up by myself. :biglaugha:

edit - here's a pic of the clutch cable in the housing for you Dave -

clutch_cable.jpg

A = Clutch cable

B = Push lever

C = Clutch cable nipple

If you’ve taken the clutch cable out of the lever (on the handlebar), you should have some slack in the cable. If that’s the case, you should be able to push “C” down through the slot in “B” to remove it. Hopefully that makes sense. ?? I'm guessing you'll have to unscrew the cable nut in the housing to get the nipple out of the case. ?? Maybe someone with more experience can tell us that.

Edited by Sacha

Welcome, lovely bike Dave

Oh and Sacha, yours is too!! :-D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone

Sorry about the delay, it has been cold and grad schools been slowing me down on getting this bike back up and running.

I bought a new clutch cable, took out the old one, and then inserted the new one into the handle and brought it down to the housing the same way as the original. Now I can seem to figure out how to get the "ball" end into the housing to attach it. The problem is in this metal "tube" like thing that goes into the clutch box but is to thin to take the "ball" at the end of the clutch cable. I feel like this is such an easy problem to fix that I don't want to take it in over this tiny thing. All I need to do is get the cable through that "tube", but the tube looks like it is only large enough to take a cable itself. I have attached some photos for you to check out to get a better idea of what I am talking about.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94536113@N08/8599220070/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94536113@N08/8599222928/

Maybe i'm going to have to remove the exaust pipe to remove the "tube" i don't know haha. Gezzz all i want to do it ride.

what happened to the last cable did it snap?

the threaded adjuster in the engine needs removing now, it's part of the old cable isnt it?

Oh and another thing...that new cable you're showing us...it has the wrong nipple on there...a 'pear' instead of a 'barrel' like sacha showed her nipple lol :D

Hey Airhead,

It is a new able, looks identical to the old one that snapped. It is a pear, I had to cut the old one out of the clutch box. Inside it was a nipple adapter that it goes right into, but i just have to make it past that metal housing / tube like thing before entering the clutch box.

Thanks

Dave

yes but my point is this...the tube that remains in the engine is a remnant of the old cable

remove it and your new adjuster will screw into the engine case ...your mistake was cutting off the nipple from the original cable, it would have come out from the case if you'd unscrewed the adjuster!

As above, You unscrew the existing threaded rod and a new one should be on the new cable. Apparently there may be 2 clutch cable part numbers. LINKY Part

It shows the clutch cable as separate from the barrel end (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1968/YG5T/HANDLE+%26+WIRE/parts.html), but it still looks like the metal tube is part of the cable.

The throttle cable has two pieces. Our clutch side is the left side... Is it the same in the UK?

edit - that may be a stupid question.

• Like 1

......The throttle cable has two pieces. Our clutch side is the left side... Is it the same in the UK?

edit - that may be a stupid question.

No Sacha, we drive on the left so our clutch is on the right

........................Only kidding, it is on the left too :lol:

No Sacha, we drive on the left so our clutch is on the right

........................Only kidding, it is on the left too :lol:

:bag:
  • Like 1

Ok from what I see is remove old adjuster from case,install new cable at eng end first with the adjuster turned in all the way into the case, then while the clutch arm is lifted up B in sachas pict slip the new cable in.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online