Under-inflated tyres

Grouch
This post is 3957 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got pulled today by armed response. I thought wtf! Turns out they were just warning me that my rear tyre was under inflated. I must say that the officers in question were very polite and helpful and seemed very genuine. Luckily I was just by a petrol station so I went to inflate my tyre, but the air pump would not fit on the valve because the of the brake disc on one side and swing arm on the other, so I then attempted to inflate the front, and again the pump wouldn't fit onto the valve because the wheels were too wide and valve was not tall enough. Where can I inflate my tyres?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Most of us have to roll the bike forward or backward a touch before finding the best angle for reaching the valve. Then it's a case of bending and twisting around a bit. My back wheel has a right-angled valve for this reason.

Failing that, you can get these add-on extenders, usually right-angled, that help. However, some users report air leakage and even balance problems, mainly if you leave them on while you ride.

What a fooking carry on. My rear tyre is dangerously under-inflated and my front needs air as well. Now I've got to fanny about looking for a foot pump. I,ve got a bike pump somewhere, but won't that take forever? Also it doesn't have a gauge.

Dude, it's a worth while investment buying a pump (Halfords do one for £25 I think).. I;m sure you don't need the standard lecture about low tyre pressures being dangerous and the normal fuel consumption stuff - but the old bill can in theory give you 3 points for under inflated tyres too.

Personally, I find the handling is far better when they are pumped up to normal.

(Maybe a silly question but you got a bike dealer near you, might pump them up for you if you show a little bit of your leg or something ;)).

Dude, it's a worth while investment buying a pump (Halfords do one for £25 I think).. I;m sure you don't need the standard lecture about low tyre pressures being dangerous and the normal fuel consumption stuff - but the old bill can in theory give you 3 points for under inflated tyres too.

Personally, I find the handling is far better when they are pumped up to normal.

(Maybe a silly question but you got a bike dealer near you, might pump them up for you if you show a little bit of your leg or something ;)).

Cheers mate, I didn't realise how flat it was, I'm just glad the coppers were decent. I'm definitely going to have to buy one for the future. I've found a bicycle pump to do the job for the time being. Since getting the bike 11 months ago I have never checked the tyres once, I really need to start paying more attention and care to my bike.

I just have some cheap Halfords foot pump, doesn't take two seconds - and that includes the car.

Glad you managed to get them pumped up, it makes such a difference.

I remember when I got my front tyre fitted and it came back rock hard, it felt really weird and took some getting used too. It felt like I was riding a hovercraft or something lol.

Yeh grouch"o. i solved the garage air hose, jammed it between slats in a drain , bent it till it cleared the disc" :yeah: ,,,

And you get flexi extention"s, at agricultural dealers [ tractor dealers] , they use them for duel wheels, ...keep 1 below the seat, :thumb:

Funny,,,, i never have this problem no matter what garage i land at.

You can always giggle the pump arround inbetween the spokes. It just take a min to get the right angle.

At home i have a compresson and a hand pump,,,, i use either,,,,,but i also have a propper tyre pressure reader that i use to make sure the pressure is correct because all the other guages read different.

• Like 1

I tried for ages to get the pump on the valve but it was impossible, a guy even helped me who was waiting to use the air pump because I was holding the queue up.

i have had the issue with the air machine before

what you need if one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=flexible+tyre+valve&_nkwusc=flexible+trye+valve&_rdc=1

just stick it in your pocket and use it and back in ya pocket, does away with all the issues of dodgyangled valves and what have you.

I remember a while back my sister told me her car wasn't handling right, so i took it round the block and yes it was like driving a toilet. check her tire pressure and the highest she had in one tire was 10psi! the lowest (front driver side) was 6psi!!!!!! i then checked oil and water for the washer jets and low and behold no water and no oil on dip stick.

I always do a pre ride check on my bike, tires lights and steering and brakes, only takes the time of smoking a fag and your ready to go.

• 6 months later...

Just bought one of these metal track pumps with a gauge from Halfords. Online they're £19.99 but in store are still be marked at £29.99 - they should still give you the £10 discount. (If you don't want to risk any argy bargy, you can reserve and collect.)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_700388_langId_-1_categoryId_165661

Incidentally, I was having a look through their Haynes manuals and noticed the 2008 version of the Motorcycle Book, priced at £17.99. (Still selling at this price on Amazon.) It was a bit damaged and it's also out of date as of January this year (latest). I took it to the till, intending to make a cheeky offer of a fiver for it. The assistant said she'd scan it first before seeing if they could reduce it, and she was really happy to tell me that it had come up at 50p! If you want to have a look for a reduced price copy (though I'm sure most of you are way beyond the basics of this book), the ISBN is 9781844253425.

Or make friends with a mechanic and get his old air compressor for free when he decides he needs something three times as big, 'just because he can'... !! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online