1965 YA-6 125cc project

DirtyDT
This post is 3084 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, being a Mod on the forum and not having a Yamaha for a while I saw an abused YA6 local to me for sale on fleabay. I bidded a few hundred quid and won it. Then the thoughts of "what have I done" started. This feeling is quite common for me.

Anyway, the bike has been imported from the USA and came with the customs declaration saying that all duties had been paid so that was a good start. These bikes were made from 1964 to 1966. The frame number puts the bike somewhere in the 65/66 ballpark but more about that later.

The YA6 was a single cylinder 2 stroke 125cc bike with a fantastic amount of technology for the year. The spec includes;

Autolube - the bike is reckoned to have the first self mixing 2 stroke with a separate oil tank.

12 volt electrics - bikes, even large cc ones, were mostly 6volt at the time.

Electric start - how cool was that in the mid '60's?

As I mentioned earlier, the bike is dated somewhere in 1965 or 1966. Frame numbers run between Y21-102883 and Y21-210890. My bike is Y21- 1955**. Because it is not registered in the UK, and I have no clue about the original title, dating it to a specific year will come later. A quick couple of messages to Paul Dawkins seems to confirm this. In addition, the bike still sports the original dealer sticker; Vic Panetti's of Milwaukee, Winconsin (shown later in the photos). Sadly this dealer went into administration in October 1965 after nearly 48 years of trading.

This will possibly be a long project but as far as I am concerned, I need to order some more plusgas and let the pain fun, and expense, begin.

Here are the "before" photos.

ya63.jpg

ya64.jpg

ya65.jpgya66.jpg

ya67.jpg

That's about it for the minute. It is still snowing here so the bike will end up under a cover until the plusgas and a workshop manual appear.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The short answer is - nothing that I can guarantee!!

The guy I brought it off said that it runs, I can't confirm this. It turns over very very smoothly but the gear shifter rod is broken where it meets the gear shift pedal. it may be seized or just was rotten (I don't know yet) but these are available NOS. There is no battery in it so I can't test anything. On a positive note, it hasn't been messed about although it obviously has been semi stripped by a breaker. There are no signs of penetrating oils or, from what I can see, rounded bolts. The weird rec/reg is in it and this, in conjunction with the generator, runs the starter (no bolt on motor, just a duel charging circuit and electric starter). I haven't looked but the carb seems to be in it (side valve so hidden at the moment).

I am starting to get scared now.

Hmm has it got a 'selenium rectifier' then ?...I remember those things

You're thinking about Star Trek, aren't you?

I actually don't know. It is a big old thing on a board. There are several on fleabay at the moment including a NOS one.

I forgot to say that the kickstart spins the cylinder - so that works but you got me slightly paranoid by asking what works. It made me wonder if any of the peripherals were missing so out in the snow with a driver.

Carb and oil pump.

ya68.jpg

Generator/Electric start

ya69.jpg

Reg/rec - photon torpedo thingie

ya610.jpg

That's a nice little bike DT, you will have some fun with that, remember them from back in the day always had the smoker ring ding a ding noise just like the Ariel Arrow and such, lots of bits and bobs needed but that's half the fun, my mate had one as his first bike but the auto lube never worked on it so he just pre mixed it, to be honest they were a bit ahead of their time and folks never really understood them and treated them like Brit bikes. Wish you luck with your new baby. :jossun:

Cheers slice. A great tip to keep an eye on the autolube. It has a non return valve in it and the 2 stroke is much better today but I may have to do a little premixing as pistons are expensive for it. That worry is a long way off now.

I am impressed that all the covered parts look like they haven't been touched for 40 years. No real signs, at the moment, of a mixture of different bolts etc.

I can't see this being a very cost effective project but most of my projects aren't about that anyway. It is about saving things. I am guessing another £3k will fix it to an OK standard.

Good luck with the project Dirty, be nice to see that looking like new again,

This any use? http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-ya6-1966_model8299/partslist/

I'm excited for you. I'm still working on the Gilera and loving every minute.

if you find a panel beater for the mud guard let me know.

Good luck with the project Dirty, be nice to see that looking like new again,

This any use? http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-ya6-1966_model8299/partslist/

Cheers Nev. I have already downloaded a complete parts manual. Mind you, if anyone knows where I can get a service\workshop manual in electronic format................ I will order a paper one this week.

I'm excited for you. I'm still working on the Gilera and loving every minute.

if you find a panel beater for the mud guard let me know.

Thanks Drewps.

If I come across a decent panel beater I will let you know.

I really want to get out there and on with stripping it but I am resisting the temptation.

Will we see the "AFTER" photo"s before we reach retiral age :rolleyes: .... I"v done the H2 built and running , carbs are stricking, opened them up , green glue residue, fk me i used it all last summer, and took carbs off in october, they were cleaned last january, Wtf is in that fuel now, abandoned the strip , as fuel on hands in these temps is a no :eusa_snooty: no.

Ts250 tear down will begin this week if snow prevales , :yeah:

Will we see the "AFTER" photo"s before we reach retiral age :rolleyes: ....

Cheeky bugger :icon_biggrin: . Mind you I guess it depends on how close each of us are. The way the Government is working we will never get there!

...I"v done the H2 built and running , carbs are stricking, opened them up , green glue residue, fk me i used it all last summer, and took carbs off in october, they were cleaned last january, Wtf is in that fuel now, abandoned the strip , as fuel on hands in these temps is a no :eusa_snooty: no.

God knows mate. Remember the days we used to siphon the stuff? I woudn't do that now.

Ts250 tear down will begin this week if snow prevales , :yeah:

Great stuff John

Is it me or is that rear wheel really big.

Or is it a trick of the camera.

Is it me or is that rear wheel really big.

Or is it a trick of the camera.

The parts manual I have says 16" front and rear. The rear on mine is 18" but looking at google images of the bike, the rear seems to vary (guessing both 16" and 18"). It is possible that they changed the size during the years (or the rear is wrong) but they will get re rimmed at some point so I will see what needs to be done and what I think is best at the time.

Some of the tanks vary, the seat came as either a singe with a rear rack or a double and some seem to have indicators but I am not sure where they were switched from.

The parts manual I have says 16" front and rear. The rear on mine is 18" but looking at google images of the bike, the rear seems to vary (guessing both 16" and 18"). It is possible that they changed the size during the years (or the rear is wrong) but they will get re rimmed at some point so I will see what needs to be done and what I think is best at the time.

Some of the tanks vary, the seat came as either a singe with a rear rack or a double and some seem to have indicators but I am not sure where they were switched from.

I wouldnt recommend it, yours look too good. Better to have them re-chromed IMO, I'll grant you I havent seen them though. I had my DT re-rimmed and although they looked good I ended up searching out another set to have them chromed, at least they were the right shape. I was told a load of bollox that my original ones couldnt be chromed and bought it!!!

Wow! That's one cool bike. Can't wait to see the resurrection. :thumb:

• Like 1