best insurance for a 16yr

welshjoe
This post is 4093 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Joe(?). Your not the first to ask this, the best answer any one can give you is to say try them all, that includes the ones that are NOT online (directline) being just one. Your best bet is to try to stick to bike insurers tho, as they understand the needs of riders better than most, they may not be the cheapest but they will know what to give you in the way of cover BENNETTS are suppposed to be a good company but they are quite expensive and at your age they all will be, try to get as much cover as you can afford for instance you don't need european travel but you might need cover for your kit (helmet jacket gloves boots) as these can add up to a tidy sum if they are damaged when you fall off. Not much help I'm afraid as to who is cheapest but hope some of this is of use, ride safe. :jossun:

Bennetts? check out GB bikers forum they feature on there a lot for all the wrong reasons. I know i shouldn't mention other forums on here but the posting on there are relevant to the questian in this post.

When my boy got his insurance for his 50cc, the cheapest was MCE by quite a distance (cant remember exact figure), however when he changed to a 125 with about 2 months left they would not upgrade the policy and he ended up losing any chance of his 1st years NCB

Try the "compare" websites. That will give you a rough idea of what the cheapest quote will be. Then phone around. If you have a swintons near you it may be worth popping in to the shop and doing a little negotiation.

Remember that you will pay a high premium but as you get older, build up some no claims and gain experience the prices will come down.

still alot cheaper then a car.... i am pretty young but live in the middle of nowhere and car is still about £3500 in my own name...3RD PARTY! (surely it isn't just me that does not have THAT kind of cash to spare?)

ah well at least it gave me abit of a push into getting into the biking world :) FYI bike is about £250 a year for the same cover!

and no i don't drive an evo 8 or whatever hahaha

the cheapest was MCE by quite a distance

On my hunt for insurance, MCE was the cheapest with more than £500 less than the next insurer. They are pretty good, free breakdown (roadside) cover with RAC too.

I had mce in the past and noticed the free breakdown cover, just be aware that they will only pick you up it you are within 20 miles (maybe less) of your home address.

I think their basic breakdown cover means you can only be picked up if you are over 1/4 mile from your home and if they are unable to fix at roadside, they will only tow to a maximum of 10 miles to either a garage or your choice of destination. I upgraded to their next cover which means they can tow me anywhere nationally and not limited by miles. Was only like £30 something. Not really sure where you got the 20 miles thing :P

It might of been a different breakdown company that was used on my policy? I dont know, bare in mind it was a good 3 years ago now and was just making sure you knew what you were sold.

im 19 now but when i was 16 my insurance on a 50cc speedfight was 162 quid then my renewal was 66 quid that was with mce as well but i had to ring about to get the first quote and play 2 company's off, say you got a cheaper quote from another company and 9 times out of 10 they will try match it if not beat the price and make sure everything u put down is 100% true because (touch wood you don't) but if u have a bad crash and the information u gave them is not true they will find anyway they can to worm there way out and not pay up!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online