2008 XVS650 front header pipe removal

malefactor
This post is 4093 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

New rider (just under 2 years) getting into modding. Just recently bought an XVS650 Midnight Custom. It came with 3/4 V&H Cruzers already attached. I want to wrap the pipes and I have a couple of questions regarding this.

1) How do you remove the front head pipe in order to wrap it.

2) the pipes have like chrome sleves over them to hide the blue on the pipes underneath. Should I remove the sleves before wrapping the pipes or just leave it and wrap them, sleeves and all?

Cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 months later...

I managed to wrap the front pipe on mine without removing the header-pipe at all (mainly because the studs were so badly rusted that removing them would have been a *major* pain-in-the-backside). It helps to support the pipe from underneath as you wrap though, in order to save putting too much strain on the manifold studs.

Both chrome shields (the one at the manifold, and the one at the join to the muffler) are tack-welded on so they're not coming off without either brute-force and ignorance, or the correct tools (I'll let you imagine which I used! :eusa_shifty: ) but in all honesty I wouldn't bother removing the one at the manifold.