Dt125x not turning over

cbray91
This post is 4148 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys. im having a bit of trouble with my little dt. i bought it off a friend after it was hit by a car cost me well nothing lol few car parts exchanged for it. any way i started out by removing the engine it needed a big range of parts nothing major. il list if you guys like. I put the engine back in last week wired it all back up, new oils all round. I then did the minimum to get it running no plastics, seat etc, turned the ignition on and there was no lights. When installing the engine i put a new battery in so its not that. Then noticed that my starter relay was corroded away so i replaced it yesterday. I now have lights but when i press the starter button theres not even a click from the solenoid. I would be very gratefull for someone to shed some light on my situation. kind regards cbray.

ps sorry for long explanation.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Are you pulling in the clutch when you try and start it? Is it in Neutral? Have you tried to start it with the side stand up? Is the kill switch on "run"? Have you tried to bump start it to see if the issue is local to the starter circuit?

If so:

You need to determine the last place on that circuit that power is getting to. Do you have a multimeter? If not you can use an old indicator or other light providing it has two wires.

Work back from the starter motor.

Do you get a light or voltage when you push the starter button with the ignition on?

If you do then the engine may be seized or the starter motor broken or jammed. To test the starter take it off and connect it straight to the battery. It should spin. To test the engine turns over, remove the spark plug, ignition off but in gear. Can you push the bike and hear the compression noise from the spark plug hole.

If you get no volts or light from the first test work this test back towards the battery. Make sure that the ignition is on and the kill switch is in the correct position.

thanx for your help.

iv tried starting with clutch in, out, stand up, down and in neutral. iv tested the starter its spinning up as it should and i cant bump start at min due to the front wheel been off for im replacing fork seals.

when i put the engine back in i attactched the earth wire onto the clutch casing with 1 of the bolts holding it on to the crank case. would this be ok? im starting to worry its not a good earth?

il check for power in the system now :)

It you have power to the relay on the battery side and not the other side (with the button pushed) then it sounds like a lt problem. Just to make sure, disconnect the starter side wire from the relay and use a thick wire (jump lead) from the battery +ve to this wire. The starter should then turn. If it does then you need to check the wiring back to the starter switch and beyond. This is made more complicated due to the sidestand and clutch cut out switches but take your tiime and you should get there.

No. One cable does go to the CDI. Run a cable from the +ve battery to the Red/white on the starter solenoid.

You really need a wiring diagram.

i need more brain power im useless. so far if i put a positive to the starter wires the engine turns over. i then followed the wire up into the push button start and killswitch. theres power from the starter relay right up to the push button but nothing out the other side and no power at the kill switch. i tried bypassing the push button but nothing happened. im sorry im so useless lol

You need to be careful otherwise you will burn something out. If you have power all the way from the battery to the relay, try earthing out the relay brown wire.

Are you shure you have ALL the wires conected, i,e. thers usually a small wire to solinoid , It being the one from switch,

You have red/brown heavy cable [ live], black heavy, [earth] and a small [ usually brown] Switch -on a spade , on solinoid,

just fitted a new starter today

, and thats the settup,, :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online