Fuel filter

FZR1690
This post is 4185 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have added an inline fuel filter to my 1993 Fzr600 foexeye. I t was running great after I serviced it and then I added the filter and I know I am probably answering my own question here but it is now hard to start and running quite rough like its being starved of fuel.

When I bought the filter I asked if it mattered it it didnt sit fully vertical as I knew it would sit on a diagonal but leaning more towards the horizontal.

First of all did it need one? Bearing in mind bike has lay for approx 7 years

Secondly will it not being totally vertical obstruct the flow of fuel?

I presume there is one in the tank just before the fuel exits into the pipe but then again you know what they say about assuming! lol

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would use on and have it as vertical as possible. I am trying to remember back to the one I had. Does your have the fuel switch on the fairing?

I cant remember if this was electric or vacuum. Check for air leaks and that you have not disturbed another part of the lines or wires. If you are not careful It is easy to reduce the fuel flow by using a filter that is too small. This is normally a filter that fits inside the original fuel line and and reduce the inner bore by 50%.

I would use on and have it as vertical as possible. I am trying to remember back to the one I had. Does your have the fuel switch on the fairing?

I cant remember if this was electric or vacuum. Check for air leaks and that you have not disturbed another part of the lines or wires. If you are not careful It is easy to reduce the fuel flow by using a filter that is too small. This is normally a filter that fits inside the original fuel line and and reduce the inner bore by 50%.

Hi mate thanks for the reply. The bike does have a fuel switch on the fairing. The fuel filter is a fair size mate and wont restrict the flow as you rightly describe with the one above. I spoke to the guy again and his first thought was that maybe I am kinking the fuel line in some way so I will look at that. He is adamant that filter is designed to go horizontal so I tend to think he is correct. He is a well trusted mechanic that I have known for a lot of years. If I cant get it running properly I will drop it down to him on Monday.

Had a wee look at exactly how the pipe sat when loweering the tank into psition and it appears that the extra length that the filter adds is causing the pipe to kink, so hopefully that is the problem and I will adjust it to suit.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online