What bike

jimmy
This post is 4224 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having just been quoted over £2k for my son to get insurance on a restricted bike, I am looking to pick him up something a bit smaller, within the 33bhp limit.

He is into the cruiser style so looking at an xvs400 or summit similar.

From the collective experience of the board, what is available to him. What bhp is a 535 Virago or the xv650.

Any advice, help, ridicule welcomed.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

GO CLASSIC

An rd250. Even a 350 may be under the limits for new pilots. Classic cool plenty of poke and good insurance. Nicely avoiding a lot of modern eu crap too.

I have a 125 top end ready for the dt when my daughter is wanting a bike, for that very reason.

agree with Cynic... a well fettled 250.350 LC will fairly shift and has the gawp factor... stand out from the crowd instead of blend in with it :D

Same with an X7, RD250/350/400 Air cooled...or a number of other bikes....

I pay more for the TS than I do for the SV. The TS has the benefit of full recovery and agreed value at about £113 a year fully comp.

The 535 is around 44hp. and a v star 650 about 33hp.

Have a look here LINKY

Having just been quoted over £2k for my son to get insurance on a restricted bike, I am looking to pick him up something a bit smaller, within the 33bhp limit.

He is into the cruiser style so looking at an xvs400 or summit similar.

From the collective experience of the board, what is available to him. What bhp is a 535 Virago or the xv650.

Any advice, help, ridicule welcomed.

Virago xv535 is 45 bhp. There is no xv650, next one up is xv750, or xvs650.

Xvs400s are rare in the uk, imported only

Xvs250 would be under 33bhp, if you can find one

Much easier to buy are the xv535s, sold by the million in the 80s and 90s, plenty of good ones still around, easily cutomisable, rock solid motor, easy to ride.

Cheers folks,

I'll give it some thought, although re: the Elsies, he's not into 2 smokes so wouldn't be keen

Cheers folks,

I'll give it some thought, although re: the Elsies, he's not into 2 smokes so wouldn't be keen

Calm down there he cant ride anything liquid cooled they have way too much poke.

I mean old skool cool the aircooled stuff.

Even dare i say it the old brit iron. Motorcycling is being an individual. Being the one to follow their own path as best they can.

Not mass market annonymity. All the fasion police are going old skool. Crist my daughter wants a satchel for school ferchrisakes. A kin sachel. I got lumbered with those things when i was at school. Ugggh.

Sorry mate, when you said "rd250 , or even the 350 may be under" I assumed you were talking about the LCs. I thought the air cooleds were 250 and 400s. I agree with the Brit option tho, I am going to get him on the insurance for my Speed Twin (28bhp) but will keep looking at other options. Thinking xt/sr500 but its up to him

Ridicule welcomed?

Don't tempt me, heh heh..... Actually, this is a pretty darn sensible thing to ask and I don't (usually) kick off for no reason :-)

IIRC, most 400cc bikes are pretty much bang on 33BHP and won't need restrictor kits. They last nicely past the waiting period as well, so all is good.

The XVS650 Dragstar has 40BHP. However, the drop to 33 with a restrictor kit doesn't actually make much difference to the performance. It's a low-end torque machine and will still shift nicely, reaching motorway speeds quite happily for a Cruiser. Even if you get the Classic model which is 20kg heavier, it does fine.

Keep as is, or whip the restrictor off when finished with the 2 year period thing and you've got a great bike!

I'm not actually biassed this time, I'm just speaking from experience ;-)

Viragoes are pretty much the same, but better suited to smaller riders and have that little extra BHP (once derestricted) as mentioned in posts above, but parts are starting to get harder to find. Also, very low fuel capacity - 13 litres if you have the add-on. About 8 without, I think.

Ridicule welcomed?

Don't tempt me, heh heh..... Actually, this is a pretty darn sensible thing to ask and I don't (usually) kick off for no reason :-)

IIRC, most 400cc bikes are pretty much bang on 33BHP and won't need restrictor kits. They last nicely past the waiting period as well, so all is good.

The XVS650 Dragstar has 40BHP. However, the drop to 33 with a restrictor kit doesn't actually make much difference to the performance. It's a low-end torque machine and will still shift nicely, reaching motorway speeds quite happily for a Cruiser. Even if you get the Classic model which is 20kg heavier, it does fine.

Keep as is, or whip the restrictor off when finished with the 2 year period thing and you've got a great bike!

I'm not actually biassed this time, I'm just speaking from experience ;-)

Viragoes are pretty much the same, but better suited to smaller riders and have that little extra BHP (once derestricted) as mentioned in posts above, but parts are starting to get harder to find. Also, very low fuel capacity - 13 litres if you have the add-on. About 8 without, I think.

Yep, they upped the tank size from 1989 onwards to 13.5 litres, so a tank full should deliver around 150 to 160 miles

I thought there was also an add-on for the 8 litre one?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online