Mikuni TM28SS - 89 DT125R?

St0fxxx
This post is 4228 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello Peeps,

Long time no post. My bike is running really well, now I have sorted out the compression (silencer had a crack in it).

Now thats she's up and running properly I'd like to modify it a little more. I've got some Boyeson reeds and a ramair pod filter in the post. I'm planning on re-jetting too obviously but wanted to know a little more about the carb in my bike first. My research says its a Mikuni TM28SS but I cant find out whether this carb is a CV (Constant Velocity) carb or not or even if its the right carb at all!??!

Do any of you guys know?

Cheers :)

$t0F

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It is a TM28SS and is not a CV Carb in case anyone else wanted to know.

So I've now got all the bit to make it faster, then my clutch starts slipping :eusa_doh: . Theres a new clutch kit in the post, anything i should be aware of when changing the clutch?

ta

Yup, be careful to put the metal plates on with the 'lug' in the right order, or it'll send the clutch balance into cock, I bought myself a clutch holder tool and marked the positions of the lugs on it, other than that its pretty mutch straight forward, Start with a normal friction plate, then the metal plate, then the friction plate with the larger I/D than the rest, insert the 'wavy' damper ring inside that, then carry on alternating from metal plate, and friction plate.

img0770u.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice one thanks mate, I bought one of those tools too. I've read the haynes book o' lies and it wasn't (surprisingly) very informative. I've bought a kit which comes with new friction, metal plates and springs, do i still need to worry about the 'lug' location? Or will it be in the instructions with the kit do you recon?

cheers

It'll no doubt re-iterate in the instruction kit, what I've put on here, but if not just go with the marks on my clutch holding tool, because as you say the manual isn't very clear on this, in my opinion anyroad. Another thing to do is to smear the friction plates with gear oil, before fitting.

Yeah i've read about the oil too. I was going to soak them in the oil i drain from the engine, do you think that'll be ok? They're carbon friction plates so im not even sure if you need to soak them, i guess i'll just have to wait for them to arrive. I just cant stop thinking about this sort of thing once its in my head :eusa_think: I guess being prepared isn't a bad thing.

Thanks for the advise Kev, you've been very helpful +1.

Ko problem, I'd be more inclined to use new oil mind, as old oil can contain contaminents and tiny metal fragments, that can wear down the friction plates.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online