restamping vin number after my bike was stolen

Adam Jones
This post is 4192 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone can help me. Basically I have a 1992 Yamaha dt 125 and it was stolen in April I just got the bike back yesterday but the thieves have ground off the vin and engine numbers and stripped all the lights is there anyway I can actually legally get my bike back on the road and get it through the mot I still have the v5 in my name. Sorry for the long post haha

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi adam, if you find out would you be able to post on the site?

the bike i am currently restoring has damage to the VIN stamp

Thanks!

Hey buddy I got told by dvla that because I still have the v5 and the police report to confirm it's identity I can contact my local Yamaha dealer and they should be able to restamp or reissue and new vin number to me. At the moment I'm still waiting for my local dealer to get back to me he said he would find out more info and let me know. So yeah I don't see it being a problem mate I'll let you know what they say :)

Hey buddy I got told by dvla that because I still have the v5 and the police report to confirm it's identity I can contact my local Yamaha dealer and they should be able to restamp or reissue and new vin number to me. At the moment I'm still waiting for my local dealer to get back to me he said he would find out more info and let me know. So yeah I don't see it being a problem mate I'll let you know what they say :)

Hi

That’s good to hear, when the Yam shop stamp the number keep any receipts, so that when you sell the bike on you can explain the re-stamped numbers, I don’t suppose it will help keep the value of the bike from falling but it will help to satisfy the legality of the bike

Hi

That’s good to hear, when the Yam shop stamp the number keep any receipts, so that when you sell the bike on you can explain the re-stamped numbers, I don’t suppose it will help keep the value of the bike from falling but it will help to satisfy the legality of the bike

yeah I will do buddy I'm not too fussed about the value she a keeper and i don't want to see her go anytime soon :)

Just an update the Yamaha dealer is refusing to do the work now without a letter from dvla approving them to do it. Apparently he spoke to Vosa and they said don't restamp it without a letter which dvla wont give me. Dvla then told me I have to write a letter to my local dvla office and arrange an appointment to have someone look at it and reissue the vin and give me a new plate. There bloody useless so now I have to take my bike over 20 miles god knows how much this will cost :(

yeah, go down the proper channels woth any approval letters...or regret it later

the only other option is to pick up a bare frame with a V5?

yeah i will do mate. Ive been looking for another frame with a v5 but i cant seem to find any for sale :(

Get a copy of the police report in it it will show that they returned your bike to you that should be enough for the dealer to do the work. And the report is free as it's public information. You could also foward a copy of the report to the dvla and they can add it to the file

Or to stamp the vin yourself so it looks pro get the stamp set and clamp them in jig made of 2 blocks of wood cut to fit the length of the # of stamps so they stay nice and straight and can't move around at all,clamp the frame down so it won't jump around ,put a piece of steel over the stamps and hit it realy hard once in the middle with a 2 lb hammer. 1 person to hold the stamps and 1 to smack the piss out of it Prep the frame so all the grinding marks are removed first and it will look just like new.

and keep the police report so when you go to get it mto'ed you can explain it with evidence if it dosen't turn out 100%

I_wood___I fit stamps in here I__wood_I

I________I__________________I_______I

Realy it s just a technacality the bike is regested to him the vin is just a method of id'ing the bike and in your country taxing it .I missed the part about he has the police report already so thats all he should need to explain it to anybody.

The stars are of little importance and you can get them in certian punch kits.

Dealers never wan't to get involved in stolen anything as it could bite them ,and they won't do any better job stamping the # anyway.

And if they give him a hard time about it later he can then try to find a frame, they cant take his bike away from him.

Also if he were to put acid on the old part of the frame the # will show up and stamp the new right beside it

Cheers for the advice guys how would I go about prepping the area first and removing the grinding marks ?? I would try this I'm going to phone dvla Monday again and see if they can get me an apointment quicker instead of me having to write them a bloody letter if not I'll see how long I'll have to wait if it's too long I'll have a go myself thanks for the advice guys :)

There are many ways to prep the frame lead fill it,file and sand it smooth, mig or tig weld it up and file and sand, personaly I wolud get a brazing rod and fill the grinding marks then file and sand the filler smooth, it's fairley soft to work with and sticks very well. Also because it is soft it will take the #'s quite easly. Last is to just file and sand it down though I don't like the thought of making the neck of the bike any thinner

Good luck with this nightmare of getting your bike back on the road

Thanks for the advice mate I'm going to see what dvla say first and then I might try it myself I know a mate who's an mot tester so I'll get him to mot it if I do the restamping myself would any of you have a rough idea of how much a new wiring loom will cost me ? It's a bloody nightmare the people who stole it get off with nothing and i have to spend all this money getting it right :(

Well that takes care of the MTO issue,, as far as the loom no idea most run around 300 I would have a look on evil bay and local breakers for a used one first.