XVS650 Starting Problem

thatsjustdandy
This post is 4299 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I noticed a smell of petrol in the garage around my bike the other day but thought nothing more of it. However, I have just tried to start the bike and when I turn on the ignition the fuel pump runs for ages before stopping. It usually only runs for a few seconds. When I press the starter the engine runs (on full choke) but the fuel pump starts clicking away furiously in the background. The slightest touch on the throttle, or attempt to alter the choke setting, just kills the engine. Any ideas anyone?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Might I suggest you post a proper intro of yourself and then you might get some resopnce to all your ???'s

As well check the fuel pump relay ground what year is the bike? If injected sounds like a leaking injector.

As someone said here "NO INTRO NO INFO" haha I love that one

Hi. Thanks for response.

The bike is a 1997 model, with carbs. I have just taken the tank off to get at everything and noted that there is an air breather hose to the top of the tank that isn't mentioned in the manual. When I pulled the hose off there was a long, slow inrush of air to the tank. I guess that the tank has not been breathing and maybe starved the engine of fuel. The breather hose is clear so if there is a problem it must be in the spigot onto the top of the tank. I have also checked all electrical connections and can't find anything wrong.

Hi.

Job done. It was indeed fuel starvation thanks to a blocked tank breather. All back together and running sweetly again.