Removing YB100 wheel bearings

atocp
This post is 4296 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I have tried my best to follow the Haynes manual, and have managed to get one bearing out of the front hub, but the other won't budge. At least, the bearing probably will, but the rubber cover wont.

Can anyone tell me if there is a trick to removing it, or is it just push fit and needs more force?

Here is the black rubber hub dust cover that i mean...

imag0145wk.jpg

Many thanks for the help. I am waiting for an aluminium polishing kit coming in through the post for my grinder, so i'll pop up the results for the rims, spokes and hubs when its all shiny.

Thanks,

atocp

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well if you got 1 out then the second 1 should be easier now you can see inside, work at it 12 o clock 6 oclock 3 ..9 with a long punch a couple of good blows at each point if the bearing moves it will force out the rubber seal. ..I could see some nicks in the hub they may be whats holding it up if they have made part of the hole a wee bit smaller.

The other option is to make a puller you will need a pipe with a ID bigger than the bearing OD some thread rod nuts to fit and a couple of thick washers 1 bigger than the pipe and 1 as close to the size of the OD of the bearing ,put the pipe on the outside... rod and nut small washer on the inside put it through the pipe and put the other nut,washer on and tighten it up till the bearing pops out.

Hi Dt502001,

Thanks for the fast reply. I was working them out but the bearing collapsed in on itself which made me wonder if there was something sticking. I'll give it another go with some more force.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes.

atocp

Flat screwdriver always works for me for seals.block of wood under the shaft and the flat of the driver into the inner hole. Lever out.

You can get posh ones like this LINKY

Thanks DirtyDT,

I wish i had given it 5 more hits before panicing and resorting to asking for help. If I had kept going as I was, the bearing and cap would have come out with a half a dozen more hits. Instead, I thought "this aint coming out, im gonna break something...better ask incase".

I got it off, and i've stripped the paint off the hub down to bare metal. Now for a good polish to get it to shiny metal...then make the decision......Lacquer the shiny metal....or paint with silver engine enamel for the original look.

That last point there, metal or paint is where the hardest part will come.......any suggestions/personal preferences, as i'm still unsure.

Thanks again for the help,

atocp

I have an old bent screwdriver that I use for pulling rings and seals. Always better to ask than break things (IMO). No advice on the metal or paint... I haven't made it that far yet :)

would you lacquer on top of the paint, to give it the extra clear coat protection, or would you just do few sprays of the paint and leave it?

thanks for the advice. i'll buff them up and see how they look. i might buy another can and do 2 or 3 extra coats to make future restoring easier. i'll post the results of when im done to give others a look.

cheers,

atocp

No problem always gald to help.. and as I say the only dumb question is the one you dont ask and end up with a nice broken pos.

As far as paint nope i would powder coat it silver the stuff is hard as nails you probably would never need to do it again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online