Speedo dilemma

Grouch
This post is 4343 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My speedo is knackered and if it can't be fixed I will have to get a new one. The problem is the speedo is digital and it had the mileage on it. How will this affect me when I insure the bike again or sell it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think if you trade it in the dealer fills out a receipt and asks you if the speedo has been replaced is mileage genuine etc , if not they ask how many miles the vehicle has done if you know, , whatever if you sell it and tell the new buyer the mileage is incorrect i cannot see you have committed any offence

as for insurance i have never been asked for mileage on the clock whenever i have insured anything

Merv

No offence in changing the clock but if you try to sell it without telling the new owner the correct mileage then that becomes an offence, your old MOTs will verify the correct mileage anyway so as long as you keep them and pass them on your in the clear. Insurance companies are only interested in how MANY miles you do in a year (dispatch rider and such) not how many miles the bike has done. :jossun:

I can remember how many miles it had done before it went on the blink, so I have a rough idea. MCE asked me how many miles were on the clock when I insured it.

The MOT's and any HPI check will flag it. Be honest when you sell. The last MOT will say what the approximate mileage was. The only way that it might affect your insurance is if the mileage on the old MOT + an assumed mileage form how many months before it broke + any new mileage was more than your insured stated mileage.

eg assuming you have 5k maximum mileage for insurance: last MOT was 10,000 miles + 2.5k miles assumed (speedo broke after 6 months) + new speed shows 4k miles for the remaining 6 months.

Depends where the details are kept electronically on the bike. You may see the same details come up on the new dash.

Depends where the details are kept electronically on the bike. You may see the same details come up on the new dash.

Hopefully this will be the case. I can't see why not with the technology these days. If I do have to fit a different speedo it will not connect to the existing loom. It will be a right ball ache.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online