Yamaha virago 125cc 97 Starting porblems

Everlasts
This post is 4331 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I have a virago 125cc and a few years back it started to refuse to start with the starter, I could still do a "running start"(dont know how you say this in english).

It seems like it almost want to start, but not quite there, it will on the other hand start nicely on the starter when the engine is hot.

I have changed the started, and done a few other jobs, but its been a while now, I have kinda given up on it, but here the other day I though, lets give it one more try:D

When I think back, I think I might have pressed the starter while it was allready on, this might help to tell you whats wrong,

because neither I nor the mechanics I have talked to have any clue.

Regards

Everlasts

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1) Check the battery to make sure that it is holding a full charge. Will it start wih a different battery?

Leave the spark plugs out overnight. Make sure it has fresh petrol and the spark plugs are clean and correctly set. Choke, no throttle and push the starter.

If it doesnt start pour a small amount of engine oil into each cylinder through the spark plug hole. Dry and refit the spark plugs and try to start it again.

2) Check the compression on the cylinders.

If it still doesnt start.

3) Check, clean and adjust the carb and choke. See if there are any splits in the carb rubber inlet mounting (a common fault).

Not sure of your bike model but is the choke working ok?, air filter clean? also you could maybe try some of the spray start you get in a spray can, try this by removing the air filter and give it a spray inside the carb while trying to start.

I have done most of this, but I am gonna try it again, with my bike you never know:p

I have gotten it fired up with start spray, but thats not really a premantent solution.

Thanks guys, if anyone else got any good tips, I'll be more then happy to listen:D

WO wo do not put oil on top of the piston...this will only make thing's worse....Basic 101 oil is to be controled on the bottom by the oil ring the bottom one on any piston and keep the oil down.

After a long storage period then a few drop's of deisel fuel( Over night) will loosen the top ring up the most important one as it controls compression.

I can't stress this enough do not ever put oil on top of a piston. doing this will give you faulty compression reading and when the oil gets burnt it will cause the top ring to get plugged up with the burnt oil making it FN useless to float and make compression, or worse cause a siezure.

If anything put a few 10 or so drops of gas in through the spark plug hole and if it starts everytime you do that then your choke circut(hole that lets the extra gas in) is pluged up. And you need to clean the carb fully.

i would say that if it's starting with the spray from cold you have a cold start problem, i would be starting with the choke. Maybe removing the card and giving it a good clean and blow through all the jets and channels with an air jet.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online