Restore or original condition.

Cynic
This post is 4364 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just a conversation that i was having at work got me wondering on the thoughts here? just a discussion topic.

I was argueing that the patina of use on my TDR, the paint worn by the footpegs on the frame and the slight craze in the graphics, only minor blemishes add to the bike. I think it gives it life, it has a story, like the only mark on the tank, a chip near the filler. It has led a sheltered life granted but so what, its still on the factory rear shock at 24years old.

Some things like the hideously bad yellow tart up on the wheels had to go, but that aside its a beauty.

Fellow at work who has a truly beautiful suzuki kettle, thinks it would be a perfect restoration to factory as its just a clean up and re coat,zink respective parts as they are in such good nick.

But then it would be just another re-done bike, the very element that makes it so special would be gone.

Something like Dirty's TS is brilliant and is the ressurection of basically scrap back to its former glory and a worthy restoration. But doing that to mine would be sacrilage, wouldn't it?

What do you think?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I agree, once you start down that road its never ending and you start treating it with kid gloves when you should be out riding.

When I restored mine, after 6 years its picked up a few bits but they are my bits and know where it came from and what I was dong at the time.

bit like a scrap book :)

Ha i already treat it with kid gloves, took forever to find one with those miles and that condition.

Mine was a wreck when I got it and it needed more than a bit of fettling (complete rebuild actually) but if it's just a bit worn and each dent scrape or mark is there cos you put it there then leave it alone, you see these things that look like they just come out of the factory that are 30 or 40 years old and you have to wonder where has the soul of the bike gone? someone used it and loved it and had fun on it and if it aint broke why fix it? If you own a museum and want a pristine example then yes you rip it apart and then rebuild it to look like new but I just want to ride it. :jossun:

it all depends how bad it is in my view, I was happy to re-zinc a few parts and re-paint a few bits but then...it was bought as a winter hack and suffered the salt of every winter! The first to be done was powder coat the frame several times, and fit stainless bolts. Then my knees wore right through the tank paint and graphics down to the metal the result of 35000 miles of use...but that just got a touch up in that area. Only in the last couple of years did i decide to tidy her up and I'm glad I did. I never really did do a full restore I just did the stuff as and when I thought it needed it

Yours naturally is much better than that and always will be because it wont be used to such a degree as that

I agree just keep it nice and dont ride it it in winter, which you wont...will you?

A bit of age, for me, is the best way to go. The TDR needs looking after if only for the fact that it is one of the very few models that will always have a following. I am happy to admire the "out of the crate look" but it IS about enjoying the bike by getting it on the road and putting miles on it.

.......Something like Dirty's TS is brilliant and is the resurrection of basically scrap back to its former glory and a worthy restoration. But doing that to mine would be sacrilege, wouldn't it?..........

"Scrap bike" how very dare you!!!

The TS is never going to be perfect, it was about saving it. It is a very stupid idea to get a bike in such bad condition and throw thousands of pounds at it. knowing that it will never look like a £3k bike. To be honest, that doesn't worry me and I will probably do the same again when the TS is finished. Anyone got a Yam 2 stroke project that is too much for them? I might be interested.

Oily rag condition is the way to go. As long as the important stuff is well serviced (brakes, engine etc) the rest looks good with age.

re the guy with the kettle, has he just completed a full resto on a Triumph 5ta, and go by the name of geoff?

I agree just keep it nice and dont ride it it in winter, which you wont...will you?

I've heard if you ride past a chippy regular the bike will rot like a bankers concience. So no, winter riding is not gonna happen on the TDR, hell rain has me thinking twice :eusa_think: . The DT mind, bring it on :razz:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online