electrical probs ybr125

biz1980
This post is 4322 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all i was wondering if someone can help... few days ago on way to work i noticed rev counter fluctuating then ceasing to work at all then fluctuating again...then my lights flickered like mad when idle waiting for traffic..now they are only bright when revving engine. my indicators are also affected flashin on and off quite rapidly. when idle i could hear a slight buzzling noise. this bike has been the bain of my life and im praying for an easy fix here.... also my electric start no longer works it hasnt for a while could this be a simple fix also. use to work all time then it worked on and off randomly now not at all.

please help me :-(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First check all your connections at the battery and starter selonoide and at the starter to make sure they are tight and clean.And check your battery voltage ,if possible load test it. And check to see if your getting proper out put from your magneto 6.5volts on 6v system and 12.8v on 12 v these are minimum values.

Then check all the grounds(earths) under the gas tank .

Will the starter work if you jump the starter selonoide ? If you have never done this before take a heavy wire and touch both of the large terminals of the selonoide( the thing that the positive cable from your battery runs to and the other wire runs to the starter).If it won't your starter is bad. Of coures your battery has to be able to handle the load hence the load test mentioned above.

If it will then check that you are getting voltage on the small wire comming to the selonoide when you press the start button you can do this with a test light ,but it's better to use a volt meter and make sure your getting battery voltage. If this check out good your selonoide is bad.

Most elec. problems are ground /poor connection related.Good luck happy ground hunting

Phil