restoring wire wheels

atocp
This post is 4465 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

I thought I'd pop on to ask a quick question about restoring the spoked wheels of my Yamaha YB100. The first thing I would like to know would be more of an opinion, do you think the wheels actually need restoring? I will - in the future - take them apart and acid dip them, buff and polish and (depending on the extortionate costs) have them chromed, but for now I wonder if they are in ok condition to carry on with. I don't have an MOT for it, in fact the last one i think was around 15 years ago and was wondering if that is something that is looked at hard? Condition of spokes "rusty" = "dangerous"?

I have attached (I hope successfully) a few photos just to show you what the spokes and hub are like.

If the photos haven't attached, the gallery is in my dropbox... https://www.dropbox....eyzz/We08LaFvlG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0041.JPGDSC_0042.JPGDSC_0047.JPG

Second part is what would you do to restore them? Rust remover and wire brush? Acid dip/Rust remover bath and laquer them once down to the metal? Fine #0000 steel wool and hard graft as some car restorer's suggest? I'd like it to be on the cheap side for now, till I have the time and money to do it all properly, for now, I'd just like it to be safe and look ok.

Many thanks for any advice you can give me. I am restoring it bit by bit, and currently have the engine out replacing stubborn studs and the piston. The frame is good, just surface rust that needs blasted and resprayed I think, but you are more than welcome to correct me if I'm talking boll*cks.

Thanks again, and apologies for the long winded post.

atocp

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

give 'em a rub down and see if they are pockmarked with rust. If they are smooth, then I think your ok.

I'd prefer to renew myself if i doubt

I had spokes snap on the rear wheel a few years ago just after I came from a 60 to a 40 zone. In that case a dealership had overtightened them but it makes me think replacing is better than chancing...

They don't look too bad but take the advice from the previous 2 posts.

Be careful of what you can't see. Rot around the inside of the rim holes where the spokes go through.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to pop to B&Q just now and buy some fine steel wool and give them a go. I've also looked at respoking them, and it looks like 65 quid per wheel (including nipples) which in all fairness, isn't too bad, especially as I'll be gaining the easier polished stainless steel.

As for the very slight rust on the rims and poor condition of the paint on the hubs, should I just go ahead and do the same with #0000 steel wool and rust remover? There are a few tutorials on cleaning up the hubs using increasingly finer wet and dry paper which might be good, but should I paint in the standard silver afterwards, or go laquer and keep the polished looks?

This is, again, more down to opinion because it's about looks, but as I don't really have a desire either way, im interested to hear what others would do, or feel is the more 'original' way to restore....rather than renovate?

Mnay thanks again for the help and advice, to B&Q I go. Thankfully they're open till 9.

atocp

I have a set of wheels being respoked at the moment. so for future reference:

Stainless rim

Stainless spokes

new nipples

Hub painted

new seals

new tubes

new rim tape

new tyres

all times 2 is going to be around £600.

Hey DirtyDT,

Thanks for the info on how much it might cost for the complete new wheels. Looking at it, I might be able to get away with new nipples and spokes, and do the hub myself. I went out and got some super fine steel wool and wet and dry paper, also gonna look at some 'original' silver paint..

I'm also gonna ask a question on the engine studs, but I'll open a new thread for that.

Cheers again guys for the help!

atocp

sfx wheels uk

www.sfxwheels.moonfruit.com

motorcycle wheels refurbed , re anodized , powdercoated , re spoked

we can also supply new rims if needed , poa

wheel building from £30.00 per wheel , build only ,

strip 2 wheels , re anodize or powdercoat rims and rebuild , re useing your original spokes iff possible ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, from £99.00

powdercoat 2 hubs , inc paint strip , ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,from £40.00

new hd s/s spokes if needed per wheel ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,from £65.00

we can also supply new rims if you need them , poa with size reqd

morad , excell , sm-pro , stainless steel rims , chrome rims

this is a nationwide service , all parts returned by UPS courier service

fully insured , we use Parcel Delivery from Interparcel to ship wheels worldwide

powder coating , anodizing , polishing , swingarms , frames , forks , parts etc etc

ring or email for more details and prices

free tyre removal / refit and balance in august and september

(does not include any new parts , tubes , tyres , rim tapes , valves etc etc )

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online