Patent Parts - Pistons in particular.

Measures
This post is 4435 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Looking to replace the piston in my DT175MX when I get the barrel rebored, but a genuine Yamaha piston is £100, with rings being £40.

The bloke at Webbs of Eye said that patent pistons have a nasty habit of imploding or shattering after a few miles or so due to the square exhaust ports.

Now is this marketing BS or is he talking sense? Because it's a lot of money between the patent part and the original. It's money I can afford but money I also need for other things.

Cheers, Harry.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI Harry, load of old bollocks from your man in the shop, pattern parts are usually made the same way and with the same material, if you really need to know what your putting in your engine ask the supplier for the material specs and manufacuring methods used. Most will be more than willing to bore you to death with how much trouble they take to copy the original so take some sandwiches and a thermos when you ask the questions as you may be in for a bit of a talking at (not to). I have used pattern parts in most of my bikes over the years and can say with hand on heart that I have never been let down by any of them, except when I forgot to check the oil when I changed the bearings in my Bonnerville, monsterous bang and loads of smoke and a locked back wheel showed me the error of being a twat. Hope that helps? :jossun:

Hi

My 1976 DT 175 Twin Shock has a Mikata +0.50, piston fitted, It had done about 3000 miles so far and I have had no problems, I did run the bike in steadily, but I do give the engine a bit of stick every now and then for instance I do get just over 70 mph flat out, I even had the bike on the A1 on friday,

Patent pistons work ok in Yams but the real deal does make a very noticable difference.

Compare one to the other and you will see better piston machining. A noticable lack of mass compared to the pretenders and much better port windows.

Hmmm so its about 50/50 then, nothing to say they're crap. I've put a lot of overtime in this week so I think I may just treat myself to the genuine thing.

Thanks all.

Nothing wrong with pattern parts,,,, aslong as there a good make.

Yer man in shop is talking through his ass !

Hmmm so its about 50/50 then, nothing to say they're crap. I've put a lot of overtime in this week so I think I may just treat myself to the genuine thing.

Thanks all.

i dont think you will regret it, see if old part shop singapore has any or search ebay for old stock

Bit pricey!

What d'ya reckon the the ones they stock on Yambits?

Cheaper than another new piston and rebore. As Merv says, the old parts shop normally has some good bits. They advertise on US ebay (.com) a lot.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online