1986 YX/FZ Yamaha Radian 600cc Page

Alex Malcolm
This post is 4313 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Anyway without further a do, I have a yamaha YX radian from 1986, beautiful old bike in actually all things considered for its age great condition. I was hoping someone else may have this model or even the FZ version (english counterpart). As mentioned in my "hello" thread I also have the engine and frame of FZ model... Both bikes are very similar.

My first question relates to the locking system, aka the ignition, fuel cap and seat lock. The ones on my bike are very worn (they work fine) but I don't think its a good thing that my key can be taken out and allow the engine to continue running! I am an electronic engineering student with 4 years or so of riding experience, and i have the dreaded tinkering bug! I am having difficulty finding the parts, and am wondering as at theat the end of the day the ingintion is just a lockable switch, if any similarly sizes igniton switch would do? And if anyone has any suggestions of good places to find older style parts?

Cheers

Alex

• 3 months later...

Hey there Alex, I have an 1986 FZ600 that was restored and your problem I have seen. First of all, the key should not be able to get removed without turning off the engine. Basically you have a worn cylinder. Easily fixed. I purchased a new one from e-bay for $25, unfortunately now ignition key does not work on gas tank or the trunk. I hope this helps. good luck,

Ozzie.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online