Is this a fair quote?

ddlooping
This post is 4383 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all :)

Even though I passed my car driving license almost 30 years ago I'm totally new to motorcycling (should pass my CBT in a couple of weeks).

I've been shopping for an insurance for my XVS 125 and got the following quote from Devitt/Aviva:

Premium (inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax where applicable): £186.88

Insurer: Aviva

Accidental Damage excess: £100

Free minimum period of Foreign Travel per trip (what does that mean?): 90 days

Riding other Motorcycles: Yes

Optional Legal Expenses (underwritten by Ageas): included

Optional Personal Accident (underwritten by Groupama): included

Optional RAC Breakdown cover (UK Roadside): included

Level of cover required: comprehensive

Voluntary Accidental Damage excess: none

Protected NCD: no

Please let me know what you think of it. ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have had my full bike licence for over 30 years, and pay around £75 for my 650 Dragstar, so as you are new to biking and that includes breakdown insurance it doesn't seem to bad.

I'm 32, have 5 years NCB, ride approx 10,000 miles a year on a 650 Drag, including commuting, have every imaginable fully comp added extra, breakdown, uninsured loss, separate lid & leathers, several types of security, garaged, etc etc, yadda yadda...

£200.

So for what you've been quoted, I'd say that's pretty damn decent!

iv just got a provisional but 6 years under my belt doing 10,000 miles a year, dont see the point in fully comp so i went with third party fire and theft .....my quote is £80 this year with £100 excess, thats with all the modifications declared and an agreed value of £1500 plus legal cover. oh and im only 24.

Both my bikes are on the same agreed value mileage specific, classic policy for 130quid

Considering the RAC Breakdown cover makes up for about £50.00, that I've never driven a motorbike and that I only drive cars when I go to France (which is twice a year at the most), it does look like a good deal. :)

Try swinton as I got my dragster for £68 and then got £30 cashback... £38 for the year was a bargain (why the he'll did I sell it?) anyway That was 4 years no claims mind, with commuting, and 4000 miles a year. Your quote doesn't seem too bad though.

Swinton is, like Devitt, using Aviva ("the largest insurance services provider in the UK").

£130.55 + £3.99/month for "UK and Home Breakdown cover" (- 3 months free cover).

About £7/year cheaper than Devitt. :D

Did u get the £30 cashback as well? U have to remember to claim but they'll send u a nice cheque after 90 days

I use Carole Nash. Reckoned to be the most expensive by most folks, yet they beat every other quote by at least £100 and offered far more stuff.

Give 'em a go - You never know. Also, pit each company's website quote against their phone quote, see if that makes a difference!

Yeah that's what I thought. Well when filling out the details I did state that I had passed my CBT on the 31/03/2012 and I did the quote yesterday(01/04/2012) Really didn't think it would of been that expensive.

That's what I did too (about pre-dating CBT).

How about stuff like how "secure" the bike will be (disc-lock, alarm, tracker, where it's going to be when not in use...), estimated mileage per year...?

Cheapest renewal quote on the SV650 so far; £97

Comprehensive

Includes the modifications

Upto £10k miles

Includes pillion - not that I ever carry one

No recovery or legal

No additional excess

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online