DIY GPS tracker

ddlooping
This post is 4408 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all :)

To those of you that might be interested in a cheap(ish) DIY GPS tracker. ;)

All it requires is an Android phone with GPS (even better with A-GPS) that would need to be hidden somewhere on your bike.

A way to keep the phone powered 24/7 (12v to USB adapter).

Android Lost, a free Android app (with a free online account).

https://play.google....com.androidlost

http://www.androidlost.com/

A "How-to" using a similar app called InstaMapper:

http://www.instamapp.../diy.html#step4

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice! its not a bad idea but wouldnt you need to keep credit on it for the gps to work 24/7? just wait till someone comes up with a way to remote start and stop the vehicle using an android pone and apps :)

... wouldnt you need to keep credit on it for the gps to work 24/7?

Nope, unless I'm missing something.

You're not actually using the phone until you tell it to send you its location.

So a £10 credit should hopefully last a very long time. :)

just wait till someone comes up with a way to remote start and stop the vehicle using an android pone and apps :)

:D

iv only got an android tablet and it hasnt got gps :( but im sure we will see an android system (or something similar) being intergrated into cars and bikes soon.

aye big brother will be watching, built in GPS in cars may just for satnav they would like ya to think, but it has it,s other side , I know someone around here left his van at his cousins place the other day and dissapeared , they tracked him to south wales by his phone, turned out he was ok just had omitted to tell anyone he was going away

If you used an i pod instead of an android phone you could use that, no fee's and that too only pings its gps when asked. Just need a 'mobile me' or similar email acc

Using an iPod wouldn't work as it doesn't actually have GPS.

An iPhone however, would work.

Actually clever pants it does its just not a surface application accessable to the primary user, its called find my i pod, both of my daughters devices are activated and should i need to because the dissy pair have lost/forgotten them (3 times to date); i can log in and find their location.

Actually clever pants it does its just not a surface application accessable to the primary user, its called find my i pod, both of my daughters devices are activated and should i need to because the dissy pair have lost/forgotten them (3 times to date); i can log in and find their location.

Only works when it's connected to Wi-Fi. You can, of course, use different accessories to enable the iTouch to have GPS, but natively - they don't have a GPS chip.

Battery life could be an issue (if you're not planning on charging it through your battery), also make sure you keep it somewhere it won't get too wet!

Hope it turns out alright though, I love this kind of stuff!

Battery life could be an issue (if you're not planning on charging it through your battery)...

I do intend to charge it with the bike's battery but I'll do some tests before I get the necessary cables. :)

Only works when it's connected to Wi-Fi. You can, of course, use different accessories to enable the iTouch to have GPS, but natively - they don't have a GPS chip.

End of the day it works. I have used it 3 times as said, finding it in the grass 3 miles from my house along a field boundry used as a local dog walk. It doesent need a sim, doesent need a service provider.

At the end of the day how it finds its position is irrelivent and busted i pods can be had for 15-20 quid. The whole set up could be hidden in the bike for maybe 40quid.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online