Customising Virago XV125

Chris_Lowe
This post is 4440 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Aloha ladies and gentlemen, I want to start customising my XV125 Virago and im not sure where to start. Im thinking changing the handlebars as im not a fan of their style, want something slightly more flat and narrower. How hard will it be to customise this bearing in mind I havent done any customising but have a basic understanding of bike stuff. Also does anyone know where to buy good quality handlebars from?

Secondly Ive seen people changing the air filter for K&N style cone filters, how good an idea is this?

Cheers

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

for handlebars look on ebay ......as to putting a cone air filter on .....dont bother it will cause more problems! like getting ur air fuel mix right and putting in the right jets to cope as well as killing ur piston rings faster. if your thinking about chopping fenders up then id advise you to get a second hand unit to chop/play with then atleast if you make a mistake you have the original to fall back on. but apart from that, customising is about what you think would look good and putting your own stamp on it.

cool thanks for ur answer, seen a few pics on t'interweb of ppl fitting cone air filters but didnt realise there'd b any significant changes id have to make! as for the handlebars, will it b an issue fitting all the stuff on new bars or will it b a case of swapping em straight out as long as they are the same diameter?

im sure the bars are 7/8 of an inch (they are on the xvs dragstar) and everything should fit fine! the hardest part your going to find is to slide the grips off, i tend to put a small screwdriver inbetween the grip and bar then squirt wd40 in there, then take the screwdriver out and twist the grip off the bar.........just make sure you give it a wipe inside to get rid of the wd40. then when u come to put them back on use some hair spray......i know it sounds weird but hairspray will act like oil to get the grip on then dry like a week glue.

when you come to do the throttle side of the bars, the grip will be on a plastic tube so should just slide off .

right so i think ill go with doing the handlebars first, how easy is it to adjust the lengths of all cables and hoses to the handlebars once ive put on the new ones? (theyll all probably have to be a few inches shorter

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online