10w40 semi synthetic engine oil

inbed79
This post is 4060 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I wouldn't try it, personally.

There's a reason why the bottles specifically have 'Motorcycle Oil' written on 'em ;)

Hi Inbed

Tmaster is correct; it would be unwise to use motorcar oils in a bike engine or any engine that has a wet clutch which will be running in the same oil.

I believe that motorcar oils have friction inhibitors as additives, these additives could make the clutch slip if used in your bike,

I have used in the past (1979) Castrol GTX in a Honda 400/4, I did not have any problems, but I suppose oils nowadays have extra additives that were not used back then.

any engine that has a wet clutch which will be running in the same oil.

I believe that motorcar oils have friction inhibitors as additives, these additives could make the clutch slip if used in your bike,

AH-HAH!!!!!

I knew there was a good reason! :lol:

Again and again this tripe crops up, don't suppose you feed your cat dog food do you.

Seriously motorcycle oil is at its most basic effectively engine AND gearbox oil mixed together. A car's engine oil has a high compressive tolerance to be squeezed into gaps, it doesent have a high shear resistance needed to keep it on the face of meshing gears.

Also there are the different additives needed between the engines. Cars have friction reducers as said, bikes also have friction reducers (ha wasn't expecting that) its just car oil mainly uses silicon based friction modifiers. Bikes use cleverer chemical modifiers that don't affect clutch opperation.

By comparison car engines are junk, specific output of 120HP from 1600cc, thats 75hp/litre! my 250 makes 50hp, or 200hp/litre. Thats an old smoker, the big bruisers are at or above the 180HP/L mark.

If you want to chance it use car oil, in an old shed i prob would too but think on this, my old 600 had 30K when i sold it. I did 29K of those on fully synth bike oil changed every 3K and never needed ANY of the reccomended part/service replacements. The bike is approaching 40K now with its current owner, still with good oil as i won't fit anything else (i do the servicing). It has the original timing chain and clutch, and has needed only a couple of new shims. With the fact the bike was tuned in my ownership and is making 15hp more than stock is even more impressive, in 2001 i lapped the TT in under 30mins (god knows how the racers do it in 20) so it was used properly.

fin

• 2 weeks later...
:hah: I use chip fat in my bike, the car runs great on it! simply filter out the chip fat through a pair of old pants to remove bits of batter, fishcake or scampi, and add some BRUT in fact "splash it all over" :idea: otherwise it will smell like a take-away. I wonder if you can get fully synthetic MAZOLA??? :biglaugha: :biglaugha: :biglaugha: :biglaugha: :biglaugha: :biglaugha: :biglaugha:

But you *can* feed cat food to your dog... ;)

You can put car oil in a motorcycle.

Cat food is formulated for cats and dog food for dogs, obviously. The finer specifics of the food favours the particular species, the cat food won't have certain egg products in it for example as it can stop cat digestion. The visuals of cat food are irrelivant as a cat can't see much closer than a foot or so from its nose and then mainly movement, wheras dogs 'see' there food far more hence the 'big meaty chunks' that a cat will struggle with.

In essance its the same, they can eat it and survive but the proper product for the proper animal is best. Same for the engines, they will work with it but for how long and performance/health may suffer.

Car engine oil with anti-friciton additives (almost all car oils have them) will knacker the clutch and gears of a bike, and probably won't be to good for the rest of the engine either. The clutch/gearbox repair bill alone will be in the several hundreds of pounds at least. I see the OP hasn't commented since his original question. Let's hope he followed everyone's advice and not done anything stupid.

I had a pet slug once, I called It Ken, bought some slug pellets for him, and he died? "does exactly what it says on the tin"

Don'tcha just love oil threads!! :)

Oh, and my dogs wouldn't stop at just the cat food.

They'd have the fish and budgie food as well!!

V.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Car oil works fine on these old v twins. Ive used Halfords own 10w/40 and covered about 3000 miles and had no clutch slip, even two up.

Just avoid any oil which mentions 'energy saving' or similar, but yes car oil will work just fine on these bikes.

Its higher spec sports bikes which require premium oil

I put bike oil in my deep fat frier.......................................................................I would not recommend it. The chips were horrid.

Oh, an ol' v-twin will thank you for giving it some premium oil, like some fully-synth. I know mine did!

On the contrary, its too basic of an engine to benefit from premium oil, only (some) sports bikes need it.

You could chuck any old 10w/40 and it will run just as well, just without the placebo affect.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online