1980 DT175 electrical switch, 6 to 12 volt

mahargonator
This post is 4418 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1980 DT175 that i have been riding as trail bike only, but now i am thinking about putting it on the street. It has all the lights and signals on it and they all work, i threw a new battery in it when i first got it and everything worked, but everything was very dim and the battery died within a few days. so i am thinking that since i have heard many things about the 6 volt system being horrible and mine isnt recharging properly. i was wondering if it was possible to change over the system to a 12 volt system?

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi M

try this link:

One of the members (Neo) has been running a thread doing exactly the same thing, I have considered it on my 175 also, but at the moment it isn’t broke so I will leave it as is, I believe though that its not necessarily the volts that make the lights brighter but the wattage of the bulb, A 6 volt bulb can shine as bright as 12 and 24 volt.

PS, forum ettiquet ,if you post a hello in the new nembers section more people will reply.

• 1 month later...

Did mine just after Xmas and been running fine since although only running a couple of times a week. It does however need revs to be bright. The instructions by Neo on this site were very clear and I sourced all my bits via ebay. Suprised how easey it was.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online