that tense moment...

wild foamy
This post is 4666 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well peeps, its that time of year again, the trusty old xj is going through its mot as I am writing this, the exhaust putty put on last night has done its job, the dodgey indicator has been cleaned out and repaired and the leaky fork seal has been wiped down, so here I am sat in the carpark with a cigarette and a cup of off-smelling nescafe waiting for the result, contemplating life and the mysteries of the universe, are we really alone? Are cats actually robots? What did batman and robin get up to in the batcave when they weren't fighting crime?... I need to stop thinking...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

nah phone ran out of battery.

the fucker failed... excessive play in rear shock absorber bushing, LH fork oil seal leaking, rear tyre below legal limit (personally, i think it is ok for now, but the tester said otherwise...)

it just so happens i have a new rear tyre ready to go on, but in the absence of a tyre changing maching ive spent the last hour belting it with a hammer, shoving tyre levers into it and was pondering cutting the old one off with a stanley knife, and the old man is hogging the lathe tonight so not much chance of being able to bore out and re-bush the shock linkage, looks like im going to miss my re-inspection tomorrow, then i will be back at work, and pretty soon the 10-day free re-test period will be up and i will be another £20 down the pan, brilliant.

so for the time being im back to driving the fecking car, which will make me even poorer... time for beer now

Teach you to check the bike properly next time eh.

Tyre, tut tut.... Shock bushing, benefit of the doubt on that one but i bet there was a clonk, and as for the fork seal, you couldn't get away with a wipe and talc 20years ago.

They see no end of bikes, soon as he saw that back tyre he would have changed into 'you ain't taking the piss outa me mode', my old man used to say it many a time (he MOT'd cars, taxi's and trucks) he had key pet hates and specific indicators and if they flagged up he would tear em apart. Esp cheapo taxi's.

Bet you spend longer on it next time.

My last MOT for the TDR, and i'm not saying where, Testers words.... "Fuck me thats tidy, I remember......." 2 cups of coffee and a chat later i came home with my pass. It was presented clean, good tyres, everything working as per. There was a tiny chance of a curveball screwing things up. Like the ballast resistor dieing at the MOT of my DT a few years ago that was annoying. Thats all.

Hard lesson learnt.

PS. If you can get a tyre off with a stanley knife, i'm glad your fighting on our side.........

....................PS. If you can get a tyre off with a stanley knife, i'm glad your fighting on our side.........

Another year in and he will be taking tyres off with his teeth.

well these things happen i spose, was kinda rushing it tbh, and it turns out that "new rear tyre" was actually the front one i bought for the XJ Turbo... its an inch too feckin big... should'a checked before i started but hey-ho...

Whats with all this MOT crack...........

M= goverment giving people gobs,,,,,for extra cash for themselves

O= nobs dicking with your bike,,,,,,,,know not what there doing

T= Money wasted pleasing these cuns

We dont have MOT here YET for bikes,,,,its comming soon though,,,,,,,me and all my mates bikes are kept in top shape,,,,,its free for us to do this but soon these cunts will be charging us to do what we are allready doing

Ogit,,,,that is the worst vid i have listened to in a while !!!

cynic's right about the way the bike looks.

my tester actually told me, if the bike looks neglected or has obvious faults, he will make sure it fails coz there will be other serious faults in there somewhere.

took my tracker in wednesday.

tester " wow that's nice"

me "cheers, got no lights, indicators and a cut down exhaust"

tester " yea, but its looks great"

I wait 5 mins as he checks brakes, then we have a chat about what i've done (he is wasting time as the computer times the start and end of test)

passed, with an advisory has "no lights"

that what i resorted to doing merv but he saw right through it, new back tyre on ebay for £15... hopefully i will get it without having to pay another £70 for another conti-go that wears through in less than a year, cant see why my car tyres last over a year but the bike tyres dont...

oh, also when taking apart the rear shock and its brackets i noticed something... where the top of the shock brace mounts, on the left hand side the bracket has cracked along the frame...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online