SR125 electrical gremlin

andyherd
This post is 4618 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,

Had my SR125 for a fortnight now and it's just started to give me some troubles. After riding 20 miles to work without any problem I went to restart the bike after a quick stop and nothing! Turn on the iginition and no lights or anything, had to bump it to get going. I've had the battery out, topped it up and gave it a trickle charge for 14 hours but still the same issue.

I have been working on the wires in the light and speedo units but only to tidy them up (i.e. proper connectors, soldering and taped up) due to a previous owners poor work. Since doing this work and before this happened I have had the bike running so I am fairly confident my tinkering has not caused the problem.

Beginning to think I have a larger issue but my lack of bike and electrical experience is letting me down, any help would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks

P.S. Can anyone tell me what this random wire in the middle of my left handle bar, I can pull it in and out as I wish

100_1293.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Andy, have you tried the main fuse that is situated next to the battery? just follow the positive wire (red) from the positive terminal, you should come to an inline fuse, check the wire inside the fuse isn't broken, if it is, you need to replace it with either a 5amp or 10 amp, usually, check your manual for proper specs. Also the wire you have in the picture, not sure what that is, if it was on the other side I'd say it was a front brake switch wire, but on that side I'm not sure, although it does look like it clips in and sits in that circular recess thats next to the clutch lever, no doubt somebody with the same bike will be in later and tell you what it's for.

the wire wil be the clutch switch, that allows you to start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in , as for the main problem, check ya fuses/wiring as yer man says

merv

Thanks for the help guys, I found the fuse and guess what?! Blown! It was a 25 amp though, checked my Haynes and it recommends 20 amp so going to stick with that. Hopefully the fix will be sorted tomorrow.

Regarding the clutch sensor do you know how it should be secured?

Well fitted a new 20 amp and hoorah!!! One less worry and I figure having done all my tinkering I now know the battery is tip top and full. I did experiance my first time of running out of fuel today, thought the carb was on the blink till I screwed my head and realised LOL. Thanks for your help and advice chaps.

Regarding the clutch sensor it doesn't seem to clip at all but I'll have a further look tomorrow, have also now discover the screw for my side stand seems loose and I may have f**cked the threads on it by being over keen on tighten it up DOH!