Possible Coil Problem. Can/How do you test a coil? DT125R

Supermooser
This post is 4648 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bike starts and runs fine for about half an hour - then it cuts out. If i kick/push start the bike at this point it will not start. When I checked the spark plug at this point there is no spark. If i leave it for a day/week and try again - I can see the plug is sparking again, having altered nothing! However, when I replace the tank etc and run it for about half an hour it does exactly the same thing again!

I think it may be a coil problem but the coil looks fine/not loose/cables etc.

I've replaced so many unnecessary parts on my bike trying to solve problems incorrectly - Is there any way I can test my coil before getting a new one ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My bike starts and runs fine for about half an hour - then it cuts out. If i kick/push start the bike at this point it will not start. When I checked the spark plug at this point there is no spark. If i leave it for a day/week and try again - I can see the plug is sparking again, having altered nothing! However, when I replace the tank etc and run it for about half an hour it does exactly the same thing again!

I think it may be a coil problem but the coil looks fine/not loose/cables etc.

I've replaced so many unnecessary parts on my bike trying to solve problems incorrectly - Is there any way I can test my coil before getting a new one ?

hi

dont know of any way to test an intermittent fault,but i had this exact same fault on a bike years ago and it WAS the coil,it was breaking down when hot,replaced coil,all good after that.get a cheap second hand 12v coil off anything and it will work.

cheers

mark.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online