Yamaha DT175 'barn find'

Measures
This post is 2448 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I've got a little bit of a project on my hands. I've been given a DT175 by a friend of ours - originally for a go-kart but I've decided 2 wheels are far more fun. Anyway when he dropped it off on first inspection everything looked a lot better than he had originally described. The engine was purring away really nicely for something that had been sat for 12 years or so! As a type the frame, swing arm, tank, handlebars and a few other bits are getting sandblasted ready for a re-spray, carb is off having been cleaned and awaiting a new gasket before it is reunited with the engine. I'm playing the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' card on the engine, and leaving it in one piece for the time being.

As Paul has said in my introduction thread (sorry if that post came across a little bit rude) the front forks and possibly wheel aren't original, neither is the front brake. As Paul has also spotted (is this man a God?! He's found out more about this bike in 5 minutes that I have in 5 weeks!) it's jacked right up. This is because the owner who had it before our friend was about 6 foot something! It's like riding a penny farthing. Anyway I hadn't noticed the back was sitting higher that it should but the good (or bad, whichever way you look at it) news is that the frame hasn't been drilled. It looks like someone got hungry at some point and decided to tuck into a nice helping of seat - I can't seem to find any replacements so is there any way to fix it myself? I guess I'll be needing a sewing machine (and an ambulance)...

And a pic of the lump before I really got busy - Those eagle eyed of you will have spotted the front brake assembly (save the disk!)is missing.

e87eff91.jpg

I'm only 16 so I'm not looking to get the bike road worthy (yet?), just usable! Unfortunately the V5 form has been lost in the mist of time (20 odd years of time... a lot of mist). Comments welcome, advice more so! I'll keep the thread updated with my progress (or lack of) and hopefully I'll have a semi-useable bike by the end of it!

Thanks, Harry.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry I would keep it as a field bike, not worth spending much on it for road use ...unless i'm mistaken it hads had a new front end welded to the original...see how the frame headstock juts out from the front of the tank? you'll never get a V5 for it in my view and would be best to source a frame with V5, not an easy task! as for god lol...no it comes with owning one of these for 30 years or so ;)

Yes looking at it it doesn't appear to be sitting right - Although it was sat on what looked like an inner tube sellotaped to the frame, as well as the foam thing that also attaches to the frame. There is a picture of the frame here (notice the Yamaha lawnmower! lol) whether you tell tell anything else from that I'm unsure. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the front brake at least is off a newer DT125 but again I'm unsure.

Yes I don't really intend to get it road worthy, It'd be 5 years until I could ride it on the road anyway unless I converted it to a 125.

Thanks again, Harry.

I'm unsure. I'll have a good look at it when it returns from being sandblasted. I'll also ask the previous owner although I highly doubt it was done recently (ie last 10 years). I'm sure if our friend knew he would have mentioned it, although he's barely used it for the last few years.

Hi all,

I've got a little bit of a project on my hands. I've been given a DT175 by a friend of ours - originally for a go-kart but I've decided 2 wheels are far more fun. Anyway when he dropped it off on first inspection everything looked a lot better than he had originally described. The engine was purring away really nicely for something that had been sat for 12 years or so! As a type the frame, swing arm, tank, handlebars and a few other bits are getting sandblasted ready for a re-spray, carb is off having been cleaned and awaiting a new gasket before it is reunited with the engine. I'm playing the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' card on the engine, and leaving it in one piece for the time being.

As Paul has said in my introduction thread (sorry if that post came across a little bit rude) the front forks and possibly wheel aren't original, neither is the front brake. As Paul has also spotted (is this man a God?! He's found out more about this bike in 5 minutes that I have in 5 weeks!) it's jacked right up. This is because the owner who had it before our friend was about 6 foot something! It's like riding a penny farthing. Anyway I hadn't noticed the back was sitting higher that it should but the good (or bad, whichever way you look at it) news is that the frame hasn't been drilled. It looks like someone got hungry at some point and decided to tuck into a nice helping of seat - I can't seem to find any replacements so is there any way to fix it myself? I guess I'll be needing a sewing machine (and an ambulance)...

And a pic of the lump before I really got busy - Those eagle eyed of you will have spotted the front brake assembly (save the disk!)is missing.

e87eff91.jpg

I'm only 16 so I'm not looking to get the bike road worthy (yet?), just usable! Unfortunately the V5 form has been lost in the mist of time (20 odd years of time... a lot of mist). Comments welcome, advice more so! I'll keep the thread updated with my progress (or lack of) and hopefully I'll have a semi-useable bike by the end of it!

Thanks, Harry.

hi harry,looking at pic i dont think its had anything welded to front end,tanks not fitted fully forward,possible front end could be a xt 350,ive done exactly the same with mine,if the forks are about 35mm its xt,if bigger they could be dtr 125,probably left the tank further back to keep steering lock o.k.

• 2 months later...

Hi chaps, sorry for the huge gap. I've not forgotten it's just taken this long for Barker Signs to sandblast and prime the frame, swing arm, tank and a few other bits and pieces, I got them to power coat the tank although I shall be spraying the rest of it myself. I've also replaced the front brake reservoir and calliper and have asked my uncle to make the patch on the exhaust a bit prettier. Not quite moving at the pace I'd have hoped but hey!

hi harry,looking at pic i dont think its had anything welded to front end,tanks not fitted fully forward,possible front end could be a xt 350,ive done exactly the same with mine,if the forks are about 35mm its xt,if bigger they could be dtr 125,probably left the tank further back to keep steering lock o.k.

looking at the pic i tend to agree with Yamahait here you can see the tank mount where the rubber sits on the frame below the front of the tank if you look closlely

what do you say Paul

Merv

yeah maybe but to me the frame looked a bit different to mine at the headstock area...i could be wrong. I'm sure Harry knows by now if the tank mounting rubbers fit in the frame mounts.

what do the frame and engine numbers say...they should match

look at how the tank pushes up and squashes whats left of the seat, I reckon the tank may be a tad back from standard. Also, providing you have a chassis number or engine number, you should be able to get a V5 fairly easily should you wish in the future.

Id do it NOW! before they tighten the rules. It not as difficult as people make out, especially on older bikes, its easy really, the DVLA just dont like to tell you how,

I will be sending off for a new log book in the near future hopefully! And I've got some photos of the frame for you to have a look at, see what you think about the headstock area.

IMG_8214.jpg

IMG_8212.jpg

And the shiny shiny fuel tank:

IMG_8221.jpg

Cheers, Harry.

yeah looks good Harry, what have you done to it have you sprayed it? is the frame number clearly visible and will be so after the top coat? it would be best if it is.

It's been sandblasted and primed, not put a top coat on it yet. The frame number is really, really faint at the moment so I'll have to take note of it before I put a top coat on myself.

• 4 months later...

Long time no post. There's been nothing happening over winter but I've suddenly realised I could be riding this on the road next month!

So I finally got my act together and after happily discovering the frame and engine number match so I've sent off my V62, along with the SORN form. I'm not spending any money on it until my V5 drops through my door - The history of the bike is a bit unknown, and there is of course the slightest chance it was stolen. Unlikely, but the cards are still on the table so to speak.

I've been spending my free periods up in the workshop at school (well 6th form) working on bits for it, I've fabricated a new rear brake rod as the old one was just made of rust, and cleaned the wiring loom up. I've also discovered somewhere in the past the owner has decided he didn't like the indicators so has ripped the rear plugs off leaving just one wire with a bare end for the rear indicators. I think I'll leave them out unless I can get creative with the front plugs...

I'm going to start just changing a few gaskets on the engine on Monday, and cleaning up and re spraying the head. The exhaust returned from my Uncle looking a lot better, not like new but as close as he could get it - after all he is a Perkins trained fabricator.

So until I get the V5 the bike is staying in bits in my garage. I've got my order on Yambits ready so I can get the parts ASAP!

Stay tuned, this *should* get interesting soon!

Harry.

Just seen this, the tank movement is a quick fix for what is most likely an entire DTR125 front end, well it looks like the one in my garage. The shape of the yolks and the thickness of the forks means the tank fouls. Badly.

Your going to be searching for a 175 front end, nothing will carry over. Your lucky the lock stops haven't been hacked off.

Good lad Harry, try to keep the paint thin enough on the frame number so hopefully the MOT tester can read it and it wont cause any problem :thumb:

Yeah I know, it's faint enough as it is. It's almost tempting to just leave that little but primed, it'll look naff, but better than loosing the VIN.

Just seen this, the tank movement is a quick fix for what is most likely an entire DTR125 front end, well it looks like the one in my garage. The shape of the yolks and the thickness of the forks means the tank fouls. Badly.

Your going to be searching for a 175 front end, nothing will carry over. Your lucky the lock stops haven't been hacked off.

Yup, I figured it was from a newer DT125 a while ago. I replaced the caliper and reservoir a while ago now as the ones on it originally were pretty much fooked. I was hoping to leave that front end on there if I'm honest - I'm not being anal about the restoration by any means. I'll have to work out a new way of securing the tank though, it was only held on with one bolt previously.

Was a common swap in the late 90's by the green laning/off road fraternity, did it myself. Thankfully i kept all the std kit at the back of the garage.

Actually makes the bike worse as the front and rear of the bike are way out of balance. And she becomes real front heavy.

Was a common swap in the late 90's by the green laning/off road fraternity, did it myself. Thankfully i kept all the std kit at the back of the garage.

Actually makes the bike worse as the front and rear of the bike are way out of balance. And she becomes real front heavy.

Well I'll keep my eye on the bay - However the budget is a little on the low side so will probably end up keeping the front end as it is for now, and focus on the things that desperately need to be replaced first rather than fixing things that didn't entirely need fixing.

Thanks for the advice though.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online