New bike - 82 maxim 400 questions

Steve Vander
This post is 4512 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Guys, Im new to this forum. I posted an intro in the newby section. Just picked up an 82 maxim 400 in pretty decent shape. Needs a few things but otherwise im a pretty happy guy.

The bike came without side covers and a cover for the air filter. The filter is exposed and i was wondering if its critical to have that covered to operate? Im having alot of troubles finding any parts for this bike.

Thanks for any help

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Guys, Im new to this forum. I posted an intro in the newby section. Just picked up an 82 maxim 400 in pretty decent shape. Needs a few things but otherwise im a pretty happy guy.

The bike came without side covers and a cover for the air filter. The filter is exposed and i was wondering if its critical to have that covered to operate? Im having alot of troubles finding any parts for this bike.

Thanks for any help

Steve

you shouldn't need the side plastic fairings but if the air filter is supposed to be contained in something then it could potentially screw with the airflow causing the bike to not run @ its optimal. Does it look like a pod filter or is it like a stock filter (almost looks more like a paper oil filter).

if the bike runs/idles good and the spark plugs don't appear like they are being abused from either too rich or to lean I would say just ride and enjoy.

• 4 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online