The seed of an idea

Julian-Liverpool
This post is 4678 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all

Still havent got my Dragstar yet but its still going to happen.

I have always fancied doing the roadtrip thing and am thinking of taking a month out next summer and going

I'm thinking of France / Spain but am open to suggestions.

I have no bikey mates so have no idea what I should do in terms of places to stay (tent/hostel etc)

Has anyone done this, what do i need to think about?

Ok, I know its 12 months away but Coronation St is on :-)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't go to Spain, unless you have to. France is big enough for your first trip. Tent and Youth Hostel card. Sat nay and money. Fan-bl00dy-tastic.

Thanks Dirty

What is a hostel card? Im off to Google

You get a Youth hostel card from the YHA then off to France. Cheap and mostly clean. Lots of other travellers from all over the place. I use YHA or tent first and a cheap B&B if the weather has been really bad. Don't use St Die - although I think that is isn't there anymore (dirty) - I have stayed in loads including Geneva which is quite posh. You just need a few quid, your card and a sleeping bag liner. The good thing is that you can stay a little out of expensive areas and then make that you first stop the following day. We used to stay in Menton (I think) for Monaco and top of Italy and Vernon for Paris.

Been a while since I have used one but that is down to opportunity. Also the Y is for Youth but there used to be no age limit. We met a bloke who was cycling and had all his stuff in 2 of those big stripy expandable bags he had on his handlebars. he was about 65.

uk LINKY

International LINKY

Oh yeah, why not Spain?

Too far, unless you get the ferry from there back, so a one way bike ride and a booze cruise back. The top end is all lovely but you will be spoilt for that in south France. I would go west coast France. Touch Andorra, Along the med to Monaco, missing out Marseilles, touch Italy, through the alps, touch Switzerland or Luxembourg (or both - but they are boring places), into Belgium for some cheap fags and then home. 9 days sounds about right.

Hey, sounds good. I got my Dragstar in January and it's something I've been thinking about doing this year too, although time is slipping by quickly.

I was contemplating riding from Norfolk where I live to Dover, getting a cheap ferry crossing to Calais, riding north through Dunkirk and into Belgium, then further north through to the hook of Holland getting the overnight ferry back to Harwich and riding back to Norfolk.

Just seemed like a good round trip but have never done anything like this before so like you, just an idea at the minute.

Good luck though, Pat

The 9 day trip sounds good. I was thinking of just shooting off and leaving the world behind for a month .. perhaps thats too long.

I have plenty of time to plan :-)

Thanks again Dirty

noooo not to long, my first and as yet only actual bike trip was 2 months, just me, a tent no plan no map no money, just go its the only way

noooo not to long, my first and as yet only actual bike trip was 2 months, just me, a tent no plan no map no money, just go its the only way

Thanks Joe,

Yeah thats pretty much the idea I had, no real fix on time, sat nav on my bike (because I'd be riding round in the same circle without it), stopping were looks nice or when had enough riding, If i fancy a shower, then its a B&B / Hostel etc, otherwise its the tent.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online