electric bike on the way?

Paulwhite
This post is 4728 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No, no, no. No fossil fuel, no good. In my humble.......... I want petrol and oil smells.

I watched some of that on the IOM stuff on ITV4, VERY weird seeing a bike fly down the hill at the start without making any noise. They didn't hang around neither.

it will be interesting to see what comes out of it in the next 10 years or so :)

problem is there rev and go sort of thing.......would be better having gears.....but still in "development" stages i suppose.

it will be interesting to see what comes out of it in the next 10 years or so :)

problem is there rev and go sort of thing.......would be better having gears.....but still in "development" stages i suppose.

Why, electric motors generate torque figures that make even powerfull piston engines cry. Plus properly balanced they can go to any rpm you like, again piston motor is peaky and maxed at 14000ish. Why lumber it with a gearbox to rob power and add weight.

The piston engine much as i love it is a dinosaur of the steam age, we just got better 'steam' to put in it thats all, it is hideously inefficient losing 70 odd percent of its energy in heat.

If we had spent the last 100 years developing batteries we would have been free of petrol years ago, its just there may be one or two multi billion pound companies that keep that kind of thinking off limits.

wouldnt mind it as a weekend toy to play with but rather have a petrol one that made a roar when its reved and the smell of petrol and oil mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I can see the argument from both side, I also love the good old petrol engine, but i think it only because i was brought up with it. Like Cynic the petrol engine is so inefficient, and the electric motor is defiantly the way forward.

In my opinion I think what they should do is say to F1 or Moto GP teams for example, any electricity you can generate whilst driving or riding around the track in a race is free to use.

So by doing this power generation would improve i.e. KERS, battery technology would increase, electric motor would be lighter, smaller more powerful. The amount of money these teams throw at technology upgrades is silly, but eventually it all works its way down to our cars and bike.

Anyway in 20 years when all motorsport is using electric and not petrol the racing will still be just as good, and we will just be to say to our kids "I remember when we they used to use petrol and it was really noisy and smelly... but it was great"

the only reason i suggested a gear box was for better control when cornering......plus it makes it more like a combustion engine bike. ;)

its ok having a rev and go....but these things make no noise.... have you tried riding with ear plugs on a quiet bike? (to the point you cant here the bike at all!)....its weird (and i dont like it) :blink:

i dont know about you but i found that i rely on hearing the revs and select a gear to suit to help judge the right speed when cornering.....there is a nice bendy back lane round my way and on a 125cc i can tell you exactly what gears to use to get the most out of each corner.

think its more a personal preference thing :unsure:

Yes Batteries are the way forward but i truly think that perdestrian related accidents will rise, more so in children due to the lack of noise! we need the sound of a petrol (or devil diesel) to tell us that there is some thing coming, take a kid playing in the street and dose the stupid kids thing of crossing the road in betwwen two cars he will know im coming down the road due to my 650's V twin but if i had an electric bike / car he or she will think its clear and cross.

Yes elecric cars are the future but i think they should have sound some how?

I'm sure I read somewhere they're planning on the commercial bikes making the noise of a motorbike when in use. I think manufactures are aware pedestrians and animals take notice when they hear a bike coming - the last thing a manufacturer wants is to be sued by someone who was in an accident because no-one could 'hear' the bike.

Thinking about it, with the new rules they're talking about bringing in to make it difficult to modify a bike, instead of new exhausts people will be buying new exhaust noises... :unsure:

No, no, no. No fossil fuel, no good. In my humble.......... I want petrol and oil smells.

Hmm no fossil fuels so the battereies are always charged by wind turbines/nuclear power stations??,

Yes the elctric idea is good but range springs to mind, weight of batteries, and how would you harge the thing in the middle of africa on the long waydown ??? charlie and ewan with pedal powered gennies sitting all night pedaling hmm

merv

Hmm no fossil fuels so the battereies are always charged by wind turbines/nuclear power stations??,

Yes the elctric idea is good but range springs to mind, weight of batteries, and how would you harge the thing in the middle of africa on the long waydown ??? charlie and ewan with pedal powered gennies sitting all night pedaling hmm

merv

Electric eels is the future, am tellin ya, saw a program on them other night, by christ they give off some volts ;)

NO - None of this electrickery bollocks.

Get one powered by Thorium!!

Forget electric power, forget hydrogen fuel cells.

A piece of thorium the size of a sand grain will power my watch for many lifetimes. A piece the size of a fist - mega engine power and only one moving part. Thorium is very abundant, will last us a good 2,000 years easily, is one of the safest nuclear powers going and is very difficult to refine into weapons grade - which is why research into it's uses stopped in the early 60s and the sole reason we aren't using it already!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I read somewhere they're planning on the commercial bikes making the noise of a motorbike when in use. I think manufactures are aware pedestrians and animals take notice when they hear a bike coming - the last thing a manufacturer wants is to be sued by someone who was in an accident because no-one could 'hear' the bike.

Doubt whether it'll be too long before they make this sort of thing for electric bikes B)

http://www.gifthouseinternational.com/gifts-and-gadgets/sound-racer-v8-great-car-gadget,,3136

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online