Helmet visors and the UK law

Rutele
This post is 4760 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I'm thinking of investing into a gold iridium (spectra) visor for my black shoei helmet. Most websites state that it is not road legal but how strict is this law? Could I get away with it on sunny days? Temptation is huge!! B)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have one on mine, but use clear whem I know I'll be riding in the dark!

I have one on mine, but use clear whem I know I'll be riding in the dark!

Never been caught?

You see, I got my first parking ticket the other day :icon_neutral:, last thing I want is a "visor" ticket haha

You see, I got my first parking ticket the other day

Parking on double Yellows ? You"v got Yellow fever :D

Parking on double Yellows ? You"v got Yellow fever :D

:lol: not quite! Parking on the kerb in ASDA's car park hahaha I thought a bike can do anything :P - a view I adopted whilst riding in Dubai :rolleyes:

Issued by Asda or the council??

I think Asda or any private car park can issue tickets but have no power too enforce them

Issued by UKPC?

is thet a police constabule from the UK? :unsure:

I too use iridium tinted visors, I cant stand bright sunlight and I wear specs so it's the best way fpr me, like Drewpy says though, not after sunset

PC- parking control :D

I was also thinking of using it in bright sunlight, I find that shades restrict my view. Can I ask where you got yours from? Ideally, I'd like to check them out in a store..

Most websites state that it is not road legal but how strict is this law?

During the day, a bright day no reasonable traffic officer is going to give you a second thought.

Use it at night, fog, heavy rain and you may well get stopped, what happens next really depends on how you behave .

Act like a cock, and you could end up with a ticket. However, act like a normal person, be polite, answer the questions and be nice, then you'll probably get told to take it off - It's a stupid action based on the fact you can't see but there is a counter argument that says poor visability with eye protection has it's merits !

So, the safest thing to do is buy a visor bag at the same time and carry a clear one with you. You never know what might dealy your ride, puncture, breakdown, run out of fuel, falling alseep at a lay-by (!) or being delayed due to a road closerure etc etc. So it's best to be safe.

If you do find yourself riding at dusk, after dark then keep your visor up and wear specs. It's technically ilegal to ride with a tinted visor, but not sunglasses.

it's a bloody stupid law (on visors) that even the Police object to. You can get road legal tints, they are fine for bright days, but faced with a low sun as useless as a clear one.

I think Asda or any private car park can issue tickets but have no power too enforce them

That's not true. Althought it is very different from council/police issued tickets, which have draconian enforcement powers. Private land owners have every right to have rules about where you can and cannot park, however it comes down to contract law. When you enter these places, if they have parking 'regulations' they must display them clearly at a place you would be reasonably expected to see them, such as the entry point. So what happens is, when you park, you are agreeing to their terms and conditions. You should also see that the tiket doesn't say 'fine' it says 'charge', subtle, but very different.

Thier terms will say something like, "I agree to pay £25 if I park outside the lines" although it will never be this clear, normally surrounded by some legal sounding crap. They work on the principle that they will try to make you believe they have some form of legal enforcement - they don't they have civil enforcement, which is the same right as you have if someone parks in your driveway!

So, what do they have to do to get the money out of you?

Firstly, they have to prove that YOU were the driver of the vehicle at the time it parked (the contract is between the driver and the company, not the vehicle owner or registered keeper), and importantly the burden of proof is on them, not you. Never ever admit to being the driver/rider.

They will find your address through the DVLA who give anyone 'with reasonable grounds' information on a given registration number. YOu will then recieve really official looking letters telling you to pay up, or the cost goes up.... THese people do try to mimmick the council/police reminder letters, the intention is to make you belive they ahve some power.

All they can do is to take you to court and look to gain a CCJ (County Court Judgement), which then forces you to pay up (and it goes on your credit file) - in much the same way if you defaulted on a credit card/load.

However, you are under no obligation to give these people any information whatsoever, the burden of proof is thiers, so they will try to bully you before it goes anywhere near a court.

Legally, they have the right to charge you if you entered int an agreement with them (by parking 'wrongly'), and legally you have to pay them -> BUT, there is a huge gap between, this is where you 'get away with it' as they say.

Firslt, wait for them to send you a letter, then reply saying you were not the rider at the time and tell them you are under no obligation to tell them who it is. Then do nothing with the rest of the letters they send you.

So, what Mervin said isn't quite right, but that's how it ends up.

Wear specs?

Me too.

Buy a Caberg with a flip down sun visor.

Other makes now offer the same feature, too.

Thanks for your advice, Gas-up!

Sadly I cannot part with the Shoei....unless it's for an Arai :D

brilliant invention i would not be without my flip down internal sun visor.prior to that it was a pain on days when the sun was in and out and having to carry a clear visor in case i was late back.

Sadly I cannot part with the Shoei....unless it's for an Arai :D

Schuberth S1?

Airoh SV-55?

Schuberth S1?

Airoh SV-55?

Don't particularly like them...I have shoei qwest that was quite pricey for me, would seem a waste if I changed it. My "dream" helmet is the arai viper camou lady...

http://www.sportsbik..._lady_white.jpg

So in real terms your happy to pay anything up to 200 quid more just for the paint job? :o

For me it runs in a simple order,

fit,

ease of use,

noise,

cost,

looks,

I have a black Shoei at the moment my last one was an Arai i was glad to be rid of, it was noisy and made my head itch. The visor mech wasn't brilliant either. It had to be open or shut no 'little bit' to keep the visor clear.

The Shoei is OK but has its faults, the vents are pants, the visor never seals properly and unless your on a road rocket the shape causes a draught over your cheeks that can make your eyes water if its cold.

I'm going to be looking at the latest Cabergs myself this year i think as mine is 5 years old now and really should be changed. Visors last well though and the pinlock works ok on non sports bikes.