Age related plate - DT 125 E

mdm139
This post is 4742 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

New to the forum and i have a problem.

Just bought a 1977/78 Yamaha DT 125 E twin shock (the bike of my dreams) and it has an uncertain past and came with no registration number or log book. It was bought by me from by a local guy would bought it a few years back from the family of the owner who had passed away. The bike had lay in his garage for 20 years probably never being ridden and the family knew very little about the bike. After the owners death the family attempted to gain a registration document from DVLA, but DVLA sent back the V62 form saying they required the registration number in order to process the form? I phoned DVLA yesterday and they told me to fill in a V62 form and send it in to get the registration number for the bike, i didnt realise at the time that it was the same form as the previous owner had sent in. So i am reconing that wont work if i sent it in again. There is a slight chance that the bike was imported from canada at some point in its life but this is uncertain.

So what i would like to do is get an age related plate for it, I have a letter from yamaha confirming the VIN number is that of a DT 125 E manufactured in january 1978 but they dont have records that can tell if it was registered.

Is there an easy way i can get a registration number and log book for this bike ? do i have enough information to go to DVLA for an age related plate ?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi mdm, Best join The Vintage Japanese Motorcyle Club. they will help you get a document of proof, ;)

Thanks i had a look at their site and they do a service for proof of age, but would my letter from Yamaha not be adequate for this ? Is the manufacturer not in a better position to advise the age of a bike ?

Thanks

Mike

Google yodi hpi he used to do a check from the frame number. Did one for me a while ago. If the bike was UK registered then it should show the reg number. If it was not UK registered it is a royal PITA and expensive. Yamaha should tell you if it is a Canadian model however, no paperwork will possibly mean that you will be liable for import duty.

Thanks i checked out Yodi but he charges £23 for a frame check and i can get a certificate of age from the RD club for £25. Would the age certificate be the best way to go ? Will this also tell me if it hasnt been registered in this country before ? If the bike has been in this country for 20 years + will i still have to pay import tax on it even though i was not the person to import it ?

Mike

Thanks i checked out Yodi but he charges £23 for a frame check and i can get a certificate of age from the RD club for £25. Would the age certificate be the best way to go ? Will this also tell me if it hasn't been registered in this country before ? If the bike has been in this country for 20 years + will i still have to pay import tax on it even though i was not the person to import it ?

Mike

The real question is "How can I do it right for the least cash?"

And the real answer is - you will have to be lucky.

Before you do anything else you need to find out if the bike is an import. Call Yamaha UK and they have a section that will tell you, for free, if it is imported from the VIN number. If it is imported, but not registered, you then need a V55/5 and it is a big form and the paperwork to show tax has been paid (if applicable). Plus the fee.

A Yodi check will do several things as, normally, a HPI check is included so you will be able to tell if it is showing on the DVLA batabase and if it is whether it is recorded nicked or written off. If it shows then you have the reg. so just put in as the new owner.

A £25 cert from the RD club will say that the frame would have been produced at a certain time. If it is shown to be subsequently nicked or has outstanding Import tax then you are buggered.

You could look for a frame on evilbay with a V5 and transfer the bits.

Depending on which way you go, you are going to have to spend cash.

Well the resident idiot dating officer on the RD forum can tell you nothing more than your yamaha letter, i would have thought the letter from the manufacturer you have would be sufficient proof of age,

Merv

Not really bothered about spending the cash just want to know the best way to go about this without having to chase around different avenues before i finally get the info i need to register the bike. Not as easy as i first thought....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online