LED indicators DT 50

hectic
This post is 4782 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello From a not so warm New Zealand.

I would like to convert my STD indicators to LED's. For my 1991 DT 50 LC

I have 7 LED's connected in parallel. used the link below to calculate the OHM required to power the LED's. I have connected them and the indicator work fine BUT as I have limited knowledge of electronics, my problem is the indicators do not flash now. So temporary measures I have connected one normal bulb and one set of led's to get the flashing effect. So I am hoping there is a electronics Guru on the forum to give me so advice?

ED.jpg

Thank you

Hector

http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/h405/hectic007/

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Normal flasher relay needs the current draw from 21w lamps to trigger the heater ... that bends the bimetallic strip ... that opens the circuit ... that cools the strip so it bends back again ... that closes the circuit so it all starts again. Hence 'click-click' and 'flash-flash'. LEDs don't draw anywhere near enough to trigger the heater, so the lights just stay on.

2 options:

(1) Put a ballast resistor in circuit to raise the current draw, or

(2) Get a solid state flasher relay - about a tenner in the UK, dunno what that translates to in kiwis.

If it were me, I'd go with Plan B, that way you still get the benefit of lower power drain on the system, so you can put a brighter headlight in or better horns or ....

Link to Paul Goff indicators page - he does send out to the colonies, dunno what the charge is though.

You're welcome.

I concur with the answer above regarding the 2 options. Remember ballast resistors can get very hot and can melt or catch light to things!

.........I have 7 LED's connected in parallel................

What are you riding, a Christmas tree?

Good luck from the Northern Hemisphere.

Normal flasher relay needs the current draw from 21w lamps to trigger the heater ... that bends the bimetallic strip ... that opens the circuit ... that cools the strip so it bends back again ... that closes the circuit so it all starts again. Hence 'click-click' and 'flash-flash'. LEDs don't draw anywhere near enough to trigger the heater, so the lights just stay on.

2 options:

(1) Put a ballast resistor in circuit to raise the current draw, or

(2) Get a solid state flasher relay - about a tenner in the UK, dunno what that translates to in kiwis.

If it were me, I'd go with Plan B, that way you still get the benefit of lower power drain on the system, so you can put a brighter headlight in or better horns or ....

Link to Paul Goff indicators page - he does send out to the colonies, dunno what the charge is though.

You're welcome.

Hi KirriePete

Or could I say Guru.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me this has helped me loads!

Once again

Thank you

Kiwi

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online