Clutch master and slave cylinder seals

shep8851
This post is 4714 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Please help, my '88 Fj1200 eats clutch seals ( both master and slave cylinder) at a regular basis has anybody any ideas how i can prvent this and probably just as important or more so, where can i get them for a more reasonable price? Any help or suggestions much appriciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Please help, my '88 Fj1200 eats clutch seals ( both master and slave cylinder) at a regular basis has anybody any ideas how i can prvent this and probably just as important or more so, where can i get them for a more reasonable price? Any help or suggestions much appriciated

If you are continualy blowing slave cylinder seals i would hazard a guess that the slave is to worn and you need a new one. When you replace the seals are you cleaning the slave piston and bore with a scotchbrite pad and re-newing the fluids(anything else will damage the piston & bore)

You can change the master cylinder for a more recent model (FJR,XJR, Fazer ect) you will gwet a better clutch pull with one of these. These can be picked up nearly as cheaply as the repair kits from Ebay.

Have you joined the FJ owners club, you can purchase a wide range of parts from them and get advice over the phone for a yearly sub of i think £17

I have a very good standard clutch master you can have for a few beer tokens, just let me know.

Adam.

• 2 months later...

If you are continualy blowing slave cylinder seals i would hazard a guess that the slave is to worn and you need a new one. When you replace the seals are you cleaning the slave piston and bore with a scotchbrite pad and re-newing the fluids(anything else will damage the piston & bore)

You can change the master cylinder for a more recent model (FJR,XJR, Fazer ect) you will gwet a better clutch pull with one of these. These can be picked up nearly as cheaply as the repair kits from Ebay.

Have you joined the FJ owners club, you can purchase a wide range of parts from them and get advice over the phone for a yearly sub of i think £17

I have a very good standard clutch master you can have for a few beer tokens, just let me know.

Adam.

I'm with FJ12SP. My old FJ1200 3CV used to be the same.

Cheap seals are available from your local engineering factors or I found a local company who build pumps and used to supply them at a fraction of the cost.

I ended up replacing the slave unit and wished had done it earlier. never had a problem after that.